Won't Run on New Gas - Will Run on Carb Cleaner

Wildbill58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a thought, I'm sure everyone has more insight than I, but ...How old is your gas, I've had a couple times been unable to run a sled on older ethanol gas (Older than 2-3 months ) It looses octane rating and absorbs water and won't not run or run ruff, resolved with fresh fuel....Just my 2 cents

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a thought, I'm sure everyone has more insight than I, but ...How old is your gas, I've had a couple times been unable to run a sled on older ethanol gas (Older than 2-3 months ) It looses octane rating and absorbs water and won't not run or run ruff, resolved with fresh fuel....Just my 2 cents
Not quite right
It looses the parts that are volatile at room temperature called aromatics
These evaporate out of the fuel because they vapourise at room temperature.
Nothing to do with octane rating
Can be regenerated by adding a few mil of acetone.

Water adsorbed does not prevent the engine from starting unless it has filled the float bowl to the height of the main jet

LarryJohnson

Threads
These are the worst thing you can use to unclog a soft brass jet. They are abrasive and will enlarge the brass orifice size.

What I use is fishing line. Monofilament fishing line is made out of nylon. Nylon is softer than brass. Use like 2-4lb test for pilot jets. 10-30lb line for main jets. Simply toss in the trash when done. It bends easy if need be while cleaning too.

slomo

Would an ultrasonic cleaning of the carb be sufficient...and do you think the Harbor Freight unit would do the trick.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would an ultrasonic cleaning of the carb be sufficient...and do you think the Harbor Freight unit would do the trick.
How many engines do you have? Just a mower and trimmer I would pass on the ultra magic cleaner. Most all of the cheap ones don't clean worth a darn anyway. You have to spend like 1500 bucks to get a good one. But hey I've never owned one so don't listen to me. Just what I've seen on youtube. PASS on the HF cleaner box.

Get a can or 2 or carb cleaner and some fishing line. Much cheaper than some magic cleaning box that you will have to store.

Besides if you bought a $10,000 cleaner box, you still have to rod out the jets and blow out with compressed air. I can clean 3 carbs by the time one cleaning cycle finishes.

slomo

LarryJohnson

Threads
It's alive! The cheap $20 after-market carb arrived broken, so a refund was issued. Fortunately, i also ordered a cheap rebuilt kit for the carb. Between the new parts and old, managed to get everthing back together and fired right up with the aid of a jump battery. Will replace the battery soon.

Last edited: