Wont roll in neutral, wont start, wheels spin in opposite directions when jacked up

WilliamIV

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Wont roll in neutral, wont start, wheels spin in opposite directions when jacked up
I have a 3 year old Troy bilt Bronco mower model number 13wx78bs011 that has been working fine last used about 5 days ago. Wheels lock up in neutral when trying to roll it but when i jack it up with both wheels in the air they spin freely but in opposite directions. When i turn the key it clicks several times but doesn't try to start at all. Only thing that i can find out of place is when trying to shift from N to F its very hard and must be forced. Thanks for any help provided.

keakar

Threads
  • / Wont roll in neutral, wont start, wheels spin in opposite directions when jacked up
that sounds like something with the tranny

the shifter shouldnt be hard to move at all but the clutch/brake should be on when you do it.

i have found some have a small plastic thing on the shift shaft that can wear and get out of place to make it hard to shift

its a very simple system, pull off the deck and get under there on the shifter side and you will see its just a shaft that slides in and out of the tranny to shift gears. disconnect the rod and move it by hand and see how it moves of if its hard to move. if its hard to move buy a parts mower with the same tranny and swap yours out. or just buy a mower that needs an engine and put your engine in it.

i have learned the hard way its never worth it to try and fix a bad tranny

WilliamIV

Forum Newbie
Threads
that sounds like something with the tranny

the shifter shouldnt be hard to move at all but the clutch/brake should be on when you do it.

i have found some have a small plastic thing on the shift shaft that can wear and get out of place to make it hard to shift

its a very simple system, pull off the deck and get under there on the shifter side and you will see its just a shaft that slides in and out of the tranny to shift gears. disconnect the rod and move it by hand and see how it moves of if its hard to move. if its hard to move buy a parts mower with the same tranny and swap yours out. or just buy a mower that needs an engine and put your engine in it.

i have learned the hard way its never worth it to try and fix a bad tranny
Ill take a look at that today. Any clue why the mower tries to start clicking a few times but wont turn over? Should start even if its in gear or not. Never had an issue before just odd now having 2 issues that dont seem related.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Brake module pins are probably hung. For the lockup of the transaxle.

WilliamIV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brake module pins are probably hung. For the lockup of the transaxle.
Not sure what you mean by brake module pins, would those be the pistons behind the brake? would i just need to take the brake off and clean and lube maybe. thanks for any help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The clicking will be low voltage to the starter solenoid or the solenoid itself going bad.
run jumpers from the battery to the solenoid & to the engine.
Problem goes away then it is bad connections
Do the same using you car battery
problem goes away then your battery is flat

As for the transmission problem, Star has nailed it.
Your brake is jambed on.
IT works on the layshaft, same as the P position is a car tranny .
THis lockes the diff so wheels can only turn in opposite directions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure what you mean by brake module pins, would those be the pistons behind the brake? would i just need to take the brake off and clean and lube maybe. thanks for any help.
Remove the wheel then remove the brake by undoing the bolts on either side of the caliper.
Do not touch the center bolt
Put a catch plate under the brake to catch anything that drops off

Last edited:

WilliamIV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the help i fixed the issues. I removed the brake and found it to be stuck and rusted. Used some sandpaper to clean everything up and greased it up rolls great now. The battery for what ever reason wouldn't hold a charge and was told at the auto parts store i needed a new one. One headlight was also blown out all black out glass in the bulb.Kinda odd that two seperate problems that dont have anything to do with each other went bad at the same time.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not strange at all. Multiple failures happens all the time. Some are those let it ride ones that all sudden become got to be fix now ones. Batteries are one those items that can fail at any time. I one in my truck to fail suddenly. I start it the engine several that day as I was making multiple stops. I crank the engine drove 300 ft, stop to pickup something, went back to start the engine, and nothing.

I working a Z830A that the anti-rotation stud fell out. Well that only destroy the wiring and drive belt, only because the PTO clutch brake wasn't working. Well that shorted out the wiring to the ECU. That in turn took out the ECU. Lost PTO and fuel solenoid operations. Triple bypass done and it lives. But while I was repairing the PTO wiring I found an oil leak. Removing the rear mower cover and bumper I found the muffler completely broken off. Oil leak fixed but now I got to get a couple muffler gaskets before weld the muffler back together. And the customer thinks it is only the PTO that failed.