Wizard 38/12.5HP transmission problem

Threads
I was given a old Wizard riding mower with a 6 forward speed 1 reverse transmission. The model is unknown because the plate with the model # is long gone.
The problem is in the transmission. Without the engine running it will shift to any gear back and forth with no problems at all. With the engine running it is next to impossible to shift to any gear. You can jam it in gear with the clutch depressed but cannot shift to another gear until you shut the engine off. I have adjusted the linkage and the idler pulley is fully disengaged with the clutch pedal depressed. Anyone with any thoughts. I have to believe it's got something to do with the adjustment of the linkage. Thanks, Oldgrasscutter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From your description of the problem, I can say without a doubt that the belt is not disengaging completely. Could be someone replaced the belt with the wrong size, linkage not working correctly, out of adjustment. The problem is definitely that the belt is not disengaging completely.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would also check to see that the brake is engaging properly, maybe the brake pads are worn or missing, and the brake disk is worn.

Threads
ILEngine and Rivets........Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to figure out what was going on. There was no was to adjust the swing arm that disengaged the idler pulley, so I removed the idler pulley and found it could be adjusted on the swing arm. Long story short it works. Again thanks, Oldgrasscutter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for letting us know, most posters never do.

possum

Threads
Amen to that one.