wisconsin robin stalls, then resumes

jkaser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello members, I'm posting here for the first time, hoping to get some resolution to a frustrating problem with my old (1980's) Snapper with a Wisconsin Robin engine. The mower starts and runs fine, but as soon as you start putting a load on the engine, it will run strong for 30 seconds and then start acting like it is starving for gas. Sometimes it will resume running strong if I back off for a bit, other times I have to push the throttle forward to "choke" momentarily, and then it will resume. I've had this to several small engine shops, rebuilt the carb, etc. Thanks for any thoughts.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it gets better when you choke it ... your having a fuel delivery problem of some type... tank restriction, fuel line ? fuel over heating... something... ?

twall should be along with an idea that is going to be right on... He is 'snapper' :smile:KennyV

jeff

Threads
Also make sure the fuel cap is venting

CajunCub

Threads
From all that you have said, I'd start to look at the intake valve lash....It is too tight. The reason, when the valve lash is too tight...as the engine gets hotter the valve doesn't close all the way on the stroke, hence the slight choking increases the compression. It will actually make it run too lean when it gets to tempature and have little or no power. To fix this, just reset the valves. That is a fairly involved job.

jkaser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your responses. While I hate to jump to the most involved suggestion, i.e. valve lash, the simpler things have been checked out. I will see if any local mechanics can check and adjust the valves. On a scale of 1 to 10 what is the difficulty level, if 1 is changing oil?

CajunCub

Threads
That is a Strong 9.... a 10 being ring gap filing. Good Luck!

Just an idea what you'd have to do.
#1 Remove the carb/fuel line/throttle cable & air filter
#2 Remove the flywheel cover housing
#3 Remove the spark plug
#4 Remove the exhaust system
#5 Remove the head bolts & then head
#6 Remove the valve breather/spring cover
AT THIS POINT YOU CAN "CHECK" THE VALVE LASH/if too tight....
#7 Remove the valve springs & retainers
#8 Clean valves & ports-seats...
Now you can grind off the tips of the valves stems to obtain the proper valve lash
#9 Reseat the valve by the "Hand-Lapping" the valve faces.
#Reassemble in reverse.