Wiring question for briggs & Dixon

torey69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got a 1990 Dixon ztr428 with no motor on it. I put a 12.5 hp briggs and stratton motor on it and it runs great. The only issue I have is that the old motor had a 1 wire alternator wire that went to the solenoid on the battery side, well the problem is my new motor has a 2 wire alternator system and they both have power coming from them when the mower is running. My question is where do I connect the wires to? Do I need more parts so I don't overcharge the battery?

Help
Torey

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it a white 2pin connector?
If yes then sounds like a dual alternator. There should be a lump or bump in the wire. That is the DC wire.
That wire is for charging your battery so connect to solenoid like before.
The other wire is for running lights which is AC.

torey69

Forum Newbie
Threads
The two wires are a red and black wire. The red has more and black both have power coming from it. If I take the DC wire to the solenoid what do I do with the other wire? My lights are run through the circuit breaker and the switch so they all work already.
Thanks

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dont connect it to anything.
Its just an AC voltage wire.
Just connect your diode wire to the wire from the solenoid on the battery side.

The black wire will have between 12 - 14 volts dc and the red wire should have about 30 volts ac.

Threads
Dont connect it to anything.
Its just an AC voltage wire.
Just connect your diode wire to the wire from the solenoid on the battery side.

The black wire will have between 12 - 14 volts dc and the red wire should have about 30 volts ac.

Good info pugaltitude.:thumbsup:

natenkiki2004

Threads
I've talked with Briggs and it's fine if you join both wires before the diode. Then you get extra juice to charge your battery and power electronics. Just a thought :)

Threads
I've talked with Briggs and it's fine if you join both wires before the diode. Then you get extra juice to charge your battery and power electronics. Just a thought :)

Or overload the diode, and burn it out the diode is kinda like a fuse link that keeps the battery from loosing juice it passes through the diode to charge, and the diode keeps power from draining back through the wires which kills your battery. I have only seen them burn though from being jump started with battery cables as long as your VR is good you shouldnt have any trouble.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Or overload the diode, and burn it out the diode is kinda like a fuse link that keeps the battery from loosing juice it passes through the diode to charge, and the diode keeps power from draining back through the wires which kills your battery. I have only seen them burn though from being jump started with battery cables as long as your VR is good you shouldnt have any trouble.

Yea, I would think under most circumstances, it shouldn't overload it. I doubt that there's a lot of amperage coming through that AC line that normally powers 2 small lightbulbs. It's got to be less than 1 amp and I would hope Briggs would spec electrical parts with a pinch of wiggle room. Even still, diodes are cheap and if you know how to split and re-join wires properly, you probably know how to replace a diode :)

natenkiki2004

Threads

Yea, I would think under most circumstances, it shouldn't overload it. I doubt that there's a lot of amperage coming through that AC line that normally powers 2 small lightbulbs. It's got to be less than 1 amp and I would hope Briggs would spec electrical parts with a pinch of wiggle room. Even still, diodes are cheap and if you know how to split and re-join wires properly, you probably know how to replace a diode :)

I just came back to say THIS IS WRONG. I didn't want to make a new post but I don't see an edit button. Basically, my info and understanding here is wrong and I hope nobody suffered with this poor information. DO NOT CONNECT THE TWO AC WIRES TOGETHER ON THE STATOR.

Storytime:
I have a dual-circuit stator on a 90's vintage Briggs opposed twin. I thought the 2-4 amp DC output wouldn't be enough as I plan to add a water pump, lights and possibly other accessories and while running the engine with these accessories, I would still be draining the battery. The dual-circuit puts out 2-4 amp DC and 5 amp AC. The DC side has a diode which converts the AC. Basically, it has 2 AC outputs. I thought by connecting these together, I would have max amperage with AC output then install the diode and hopefully see 7-9 amp DC to charge the battery and run equipment. I even contacted Briggs support and they said it would be fine.

I fried my stator.

I'm only guessing here, but it's an educated guess from research, the two AC circuits weren't in sync and when I joined them, they fought each other and built up heat and melted my stator. What I should have done, and what I am going to do when my new stator (dual circuit) arrives is use 2 diodes to keep the AC separated and then join on the DC side. I am going to do this with a rectifier that has 2 AC inputs and 1 DC output. I also plan to put a switch on the secondary AC input so I'm not overcharging my battery with 9 amps when I don't have accessories running. It'll basically be a boost.

Hopefully nobody else suffered my fate and hopefully other people are curious about doing this and learn from my mistakes :)