Will using mulching blades alone give me ... partial mulching?

deckeda

Threads
  • / Will using mulching blades alone give me ... partial mulching?
I don't have the TriCycler mulching accessory, but I never bag either (not that I have any sort of bagging system, which I don't.)

I realize that regular clippings are already a form of "mulch" (albeit not a consistent one.)

Anyway, that's my question.

D

Deleted member 97405

I don't have the TriCycler mulching accessory, but I never bag either (not that I have any sort of bagging system, which I don't.)

I realize that regular clippings are already a form of "mulch" (albeit not a consistent one.)

Anyway, that's my question.

Depending on what deck you have, you can run mulching blades without having to install a mulching baffle under the deck. Mulching blades do not create as much vacuum as regular blades. Therefore, if you dont have a baffle under the deck, the blades may not be able to stand the grass up to get a clean cut. Your yard may look like it was mowed with a weedwhacker. I had a customer do this with a 48" deck on an LX178. It cut like crap with mulching blades without the baffle. We put regular blades on it, and it worked fine. The best thing I could say is to try it and see how it does. Type and thickness of grass, time of year, and moisture can all play a factor as well.

deckeda

Threads
I have the older iteration of the 48" (on my 265) so I'll likely just get regular blades since I won't be buying a TriCycler for it. Thanks Will.