Will an RZT-S Solve My Steep Slope Nightmare?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, I'm also curious why you are promoting the 22 hp Kohler. When I compare the three RZT-S models on the Cub Cadet website, they all appear to have the Courage 725cc engine but the hp varies. The 42" cut has a 22 hp engine. The 46" cut has a 23hp engine. And the 50" has a 25hp engine. So I wonder if the engines are in fact basically the same, and what they are doing to increase the hp for the bigger mowers.

So Ric, why do you like the 22 hp Courage over the more powerful engines?

For one I don't believe the RZT-S is going to solve your problem as I said before. I feel like the only one of the three that you would have any chance with for the application you describe would be the 22 HP.
I'm not promoting the 22 hp Kohler but I've said for a long time that when people buy mowers they do not do the research they need to do before making a purchase. To many people buy a lawn mower based on engine size and name on the mower which IMO is crazy. Out of the three mowers you mentioned which are you buying?
Personally I run two Kohler Courage Motors, a 20 and 22 HP and I've had real good luck with the Kohler motors but the type of motor doesn't concern me as much as the HP rating.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am curious as to why you are suggesting the smaller motor for texhobbit. If my dealer were 70 miles away I prob would have bought something else. however honestly I do 99% of my own maintenance. oil changes, greasing the various grease fittings, replacing belts and even spindles are not hard. With the deck on the Country Clipper I expect that to be even easier. If it does at least as well as the Snapper I had life will be good.

I suggested the smaller motor because I think it's the only one out of the three that would stand a chance of holding up on the RZT-S. People need to do the research and if they did they wouldn't have the problems they have.
The Rzt-S comes with the 22, 23 and 25 hp motors all with the EZT transmissions, if you do a little research you'll find that the EZT Dual Hydro gear transmission is rated for a motor of between 18 and 22 hp with a maximum tire size of 18 inch. http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/products/hydrostatic-drives/single-axle-transaxles/EZT
That tells me that the RZT with the 22 HP is running at it's max and the others are beyond there Max and that's why people have the Transmission problems the have , they just don't hold up well and if you consider TexHobbit is going to mow a 25 degree embankment what do you think his chances are that the rzt is going to last.

texhobbit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ric, I did notice that the EZT transaxles were rated for a max of 22 hp, and since my current mower is a 42" cut, I was just going to get another one that size. With zero turn, I should still reduce my mowing time, and I think I want to minimize the mower weight since that's a lot of heft to shove up my embankment. If I go slow on the steep parts that should ease the load on the transaxles a bit.

I still would like to know if the EZT transaxles will freewheel or "park" when I release the drive pedal. I may have to go by the local lawn and garden to see if they have one in stock I can test.

txzrider

Threads
none of the zero turns I have driven do that... all will roll back down the hill unless you engage the parking brake.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, I did notice that the EZT transaxles were rated for a max of 22 hp, and since my current mower is a 42" cut, I was just going to get another one that size. With zero turn, I should still reduce my mowing time, and I think I want to minimize the mower weight since that's a lot of heft to shove up my embankment. If I go slow on the steep parts that should ease the load on the transaxles a bit.

I still would like to know if the EZT transaxles will freewheel or "park" when I release the drive pedal. I may have to go by the local lawn and garden to see if they have one in stock I can test.

I didn't say you were not aware of the rating of the EZT drives, I was asked why I said I wouldn't go any larger than the 22 hp and I explained why. As you say and I agree with you, you should be able too reduce your mowing time but as far as the weight of the mower goes there's not that much difference between the S and my ZTR's
My Z force mowers both run the 2800 drives and I can tell you from experience that on slopes of that degree my 2800's labor badly, I can only imagine what an EZT would do.
I agree with txrider none of the zero turns I have driven will do what you're asking unless you engage the parking brake, all will freewheel.
I would suggest you read some of the other threads here, like the most recent about the EZT drives, threads like the following appear frequently about the EZT Transmission.

icon5.png
rtz50 hydraulics

I have a cub rtz 50 with 165 hours on it at around 150 hours the left drive stopped pulling or got weak. I went to TSC where it came from and they said no warranty after 140 hours, go figure. When its cold (has,'t been running) it pulls about 80% and as it heats up after 10 - 15 minutes it almost doesn't work. I've checked fluid, its full; and cleaned all around it and believe the disengage lever is right. Anyone have any experience with this? Is there a trick, can it be repaired or replaced fairly easy?:confused2:​

texhobbit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 42RZT_S last August (2012). So far I am completely happy with the mower. It WILL mow up and down a 25 degree slope with the stock tires (much better than the Snapper rider I had been using). If the drive pedal is released on the downhill, the mower will creap downhill fairly slowly. If the grass is damp, the mower might slide, but I can guide it in the direction I want using the steering. All in all, I think that the RZT-S is a great improvement to my old Snapper as it is MUCH safer. I highly recommend it for folks with steep yards.

One thing that I have noticed ... Even though it is a true zero turn mower, I cannot mow closely around small obstacles such as trees or posts. The rear wheel will hit the tree. The outside of the wheel (on the 42") is about even with the edge of the mower deck so it just cannot zero turn around a tree without the wheel hitting it. I don't know if this is still the case with a larger mower deck, but it is with the 42".

But my main point was that the RZT-S WILL work on slopes ... even slopes way steeper than the 15 degrees or so in the owners manual. And I find it WAY safer than the Snapper.

So I'm a very happy owner (so long as the transmission is durable enough to take the slope abuse over time).

Threads
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 42RZT_S last August (2012). So far I am completely happy with the mower. It WILL mow up and down a 25 degree slope with the stock tires (much better than the Snapper rider I had been using). If the drive pedal is released on the downhill, the mower will creap downhill fairly slowly. If the grass is damp, the mower might slide, but I can guide it in the direction I want using the steering. All in all, I think that the RZT-S is a great improvement to my old Snapper as it is MUCH safer. I highly recommend it for folks with steep yards.

One thing that I have noticed ... Even though it is a true zero turn mower, I cannot mow closely around small obstacles such as trees or posts. The rear wheel will hit the tree. The outside of the wheel (on the 42") is about even with the edge of the mower deck so it just cannot zero turn around a tree without the wheel hitting it. I don't know if this is still the case with a larger mower deck, but it is with the 42".

But my main point was that the RZT-S WILL work on slopes ... even slopes way steeper than the 15 degrees or so in the owners manual. And I find it WAY safer than the Snapper.

So I'm a very happy owner (so long as the transmission is durable enough to take the slope abuse over time).

I'm glad you are happy with your decision! :cool: