Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower
Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot
There's your answer. Buy from a real mower shop.

Recommend hiring a lawn crew if you can't start the equipment and use it properly.

schreib69

Threads
  • / Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower
The CC600 is an OK machine for a particular need. If you're in the USA, the CC600 goes for $1,200 and should be in stores next month. So, $665 with free shipping is a bargain, or maybe not. I looked up my lawn tractor on that website and it goes for $1,260 vs $2,600 at HD. I also have a Honda mower that goes for $511 on that website vs $999 at HD. I also see they don't take credit cards. Makes me wonder. But, if it doesn't make you wonder, go for it.
No, like you that half price sent up red flags. I figured out their email and sent them an inquiry asking a few pointed questions. No reply. NOPE, likely a scam. I actually found two similar websites like that out of Indonesia.

schreib69

Threads
My B&S engine on my log splitter would do the same thing ( spin like crazy and not start then start with one pull) never could figure it out , have to think that the spark is degraded when starting electric but, WHY ?
It would be nice to ask some tech guy at B & S but they have off loaded ALL their tech help to their certified dealers-- nobody at corporate! It IS a conundrum.
The other part is no one appears to really understand how their choke system works or can explain it well, so I can't even come up with a theory . . .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro makes a nice Super Recycler with E start. Has the big Briggs 190cc engine. Don't even have to change the oil in it either LOL. Personal Pace, my fav.

schreib69

Threads
Toro makes a nice Super Recycler with E start. Has the big Briggs 190cc engine. Don't even have to change the oil in it either LOL. Personal Pace, my fav.
Yep, looks good. THAT would work! But $900 for a lawn mower for occasional use. Twice as much as I was hoping for. I think I will just give up and tell they wife to ask me to cut the grass . . . my normal mode. I am obviously asking the market for something it just is not ready to do.
The machine I bought at HD last year cost only $440. I figured SOME company out there had a competing product. The answer is simply: NO
I figured the dominant engine manufacturer B &S could make a product that would reliably start with a push button; how hard can that be?! Auto choke engines have been around for 80 years! New technology with lithium batteries enables huge power in small packages perfect for a light machine yet, no company can combine them? I give up.

Fueler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am curious as to which brand of mower this briggs is mounted on.
Since the Briggs starts manually there has to be a wiring issue somewhere with the instart feature.
It spins just fine but the circuit that fires up the ignition/coil has to be the source would be my guess. Bad switch? Safety switch? It happens. Got a voltmeter?
I would not condemn this just yet.
Can you find your manual with a wiring diagram here?

pay1920

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know what your OP said, but I suggest you consider a cordless electric (battery) powered mower. They're lightweight, easy to maneuver, and easy to start. And they're perfect for small areas. Look for a 6 Ah or higher battery. If Lowes is convenient, check them out as they offer different brands than HD. One to think about is the EGO LM2125SP.

If you eliminate B&S and electric, you'll end up with a small selection.
Bad choice, replacement parts are not available for some Electric/battery powered mowers, the part that holds the blade is made out of plastic, once you damage this, you can not mount the blade safely, Check before you buy, if parts are available, and don't take the stores word for it, look for yourself. good luck

pcpotter

Forum Newbie
Threads
My wife is too weak to pull-start our old mower, sold it. Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot with the Briggs and Stratton engine and battery starter. After using it about 4 or 5 times it refused to start even though cranking plenty fast. Just to be sure I charged it up. STILL refused to start. If I hand pulled it, it started fine. I putzed with this a few times and took it back; they gave me a credit for a new one. My plan was to buy some other brand of gas mower with a push button start. It seems there are almost none out there. I notice there is a Cub Cadet with a large than average cut width that has Cub's proprietary push button start on it. I am strongly considering that even though it is highly over rated for my simple small use needs. I just want her to be able to do a quick run through around her garden if she gets the feeling to do it. Money not an issue unless over $800.
Suggestions for some other brand engine than B & S on a decent mower?? THANKS!
Have you considered the Ryobi 40volt battery powered walk behind I’ve had 2 of these gave my first one to my sister so she could keep her small yard mowed it’s still going strong 3yrs later and got my wife a self propelled battery powered mower and she loves we’ve had it 3yrs and it’s still going strong one thing that’s important is to keep your yard mowed on a regular basis

nc10

Threads
I know what your OP said, but I suggest you consider a cordless electric (battery) powered mower. They're lightweight, easy to maneuver, and easy to start. And they're perfect for small areas. Look for a 6 Ah or higher battery. If Lowes is convenient, check them out as they offer different brands than HD. One to think about is the EGO LM2125SP.

If you eliminate B&S and electric, you'll end up with a small selection.
With apologies to OP, I couldn't agree more. I ended up w 2 mowers while selling one house, buying another. One gas, one electric, an 20" EGO electric bought in 2014. Still going fine, using orig batteries, 10th season. The EGO is the only mower my wife will use, much lighter, much, much easier to maneuver, easy to store, the handle folds and it sits on end. Easy to haul around. Much less noise. No need to winterize. Great for mowing around trees, flower beds, gardens, etc. I have 2 batteries, ~ 5 amp hr. EGO and HD/Ryobi both make good electrics. Pricy, due to batteries, decent models start around $400, more w 2 batteries. Ex the initial cost, a really good fit for applications like this.

Checked on Consumer Reports, the top push mower with electric start in their ratings is a Honda HRN216VLA, but its out of stock as best I can tell.

The next model up, is $900, available on amazon, so too expensive... but seems to meet the requirements otherwise....

Last edited:

Freddie21

Threads
I have the Kobalt electric and love it. Not good for2 acres, but it would be with additional batteries. Best thing for people that can't pull the cord. No gas, oil and routine maintenance except for keeping it clean (don't clean underside with water) and batteries charged.