Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower

schreib69

Threads
  • / Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower
My wife is too weak to pull-start our old mower, sold it. Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot with the Briggs and Stratton engine and battery starter. After using it about 4 or 5 times it refused to start even though cranking plenty fast. Just to be sure I charged it up. STILL refused to start. If I hand pulled it, it started fine. I putzed with this a few times and took it back; they gave me a credit for a new one. My plan was to buy some other brand of gas mower with a push button start. It seems there are almost none out there. I notice there is a Cub Cadet with a large than average cut width that has Cub's proprietary push button start on it. I am strongly considering that even though it is highly over rated for my simple small use needs. I just want her to be able to do a quick run through around her garden if she gets the feeling to do it. Money not an issue unless over $800.
Suggestions for some other brand engine than B & S on a decent mower?? THANKS!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower
My wife is too weak to pull-start our old mower, sold it. Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot with the Briggs and Stratton engine and battery starter. After using it about 4 or 5 times it refused to start even though cranking plenty fast. Just to be sure I charged it up. STILL refused to start. If I hand pulled it, it started fine. I putzed with this a few times and took it back; they gave me a credit for a new one. My plan was to buy some other brand of gas mower with a push button start. It seems there are almost none out there. I notice there is a Cub Cadet with a large than average cut width that has Cub's proprietary push button start on it. I am strongly considering that even though it is highly over rated for my simple small use needs. I just want her to be able to do a quick run through around her garden if she gets the feeling to do it. Money not an issue unless over $800.
Suggestions for some other brand engine than B & S on a decent mower?? THANKS!
The mower you buy will have whatever engine the dealer/store ordered. Just because you had one with Briggs engine and it would not start with push button start, but start while using rope recoil , really means nothing. It isn’t as if you can now eliminate all Briggs engines from your buying decision. I mean you can, but it will leave little choice. The remaining choices of engines are: Kawasaki and Kohler (doubtful these would be on the mower you are looking for), or Chonda engines (Chinese Honda), ie: LCt, Loncin, Powermore, etc.

TonyPrin

Threads
I know what your OP said, but I suggest you consider a cordless electric (battery) powered mower. They're lightweight, easy to maneuver, and easy to start. And they're perfect for small areas. Look for a 6 Ah or higher battery. If Lowes is convenient, check them out as they offer different brands than HD. One to think about is the EGO LM2125SP.

If you eliminate B&S and electric, you'll end up with a small selection.

Last edited:

schreib69

Threads
Thanks for the comments folks.

hmmm. I was hoping to hear about some great whiz bang Cub Cadet engine / mower. . . on the Cub Cadet forum.
I have LOTS of B &S engines and am not against them per se. I figure they just don't what they're doing for the choke / carb end on this model they sell under a number of brands between $450 and $500. Maybe the ONE I got was a lemon?

I would buy it again and hope that after 5 starts it would CONTINUE to start with the button but not going to go through the return process again when it fails after the 30 day warranty.

I guess no one here is aware of Cub's market model with elec. start, huh?

TonyPrin

Threads
I guess no one here is aware of Cub's market model with elec. start, huh?
I have a Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine and electric start, but it's a lawn tractor. I think it's great. I wasn't aware of a Cub Cadet gas powered walk behind mower with electric start and without a B&S engine so I checked their website. They have around a dozen walk behind mowers. I didn't see any that met your requirements: walk behind mower, electric start, not B&S engine, under $800. They had a 159cc mower (SC100) with electric start and a Cub Cadet engine at one time, but it's been discontinued. Which mower are you considering?

Last edited:

schreib69

Threads
I am looking at the CC600; hard to find but I DID find one through King Tool and Machine(Singapore) for $665 and free shipping. I am considering pulling the trigger. . . Cub Cadet engine, not B & S.

TonyPrin

Threads
The CC600 is an OK machine for a particular need. If you're in the USA, the CC600 goes for $1,200 and should be in stores next month. So, $665 with free shipping is a bargain, or maybe not. I looked up my lawn tractor on that website and it goes for $1,260 vs $2,600 at HD. I also have a Honda mower that goes for $511 on that website vs $999 at HD. I also see they don't take credit cards. Makes me wonder. But, if it doesn't make you wonder, go for it.

Last edited:

northcreeek262

Threads
My B&S engine on my log splitter would do the same thing ( spin like crazy and not start then start with one pull) never could figure it out , have to think that the spark is degraded when starting electric but, WHY ?

schreib69

Threads
cc600, but appears no longer manufactured; I believe they upped the ante to the cc800 and now want $1200

TonyPrin

Threads
schreib69, good luck with your search. IMO, it's just as well as the cc600 seemed to be overkill for your need. Perhaps you can reconsider a cordless electric (battery) mower like the EGO I mentioned in post #3. They are well suited to small areas (large areas, too - for a lot of money) and their maintenance is much less than gas powered mowers. Cordless mowers are lightweight and much quieter. Also, it's nice to smell the cut grass instead of petrol fumes.