Wife can't mow, need assistance please.....

0 volts A/C between white wires and ground also, 11.6 v on blue to ground with blades on and throttle wide open, now to make certain I am doing this correct, I have unplugged the harness from the spade blades and checking for voltage while the wires ar unplugged .
 
0 volts A/C between white wires and ground also, 11.6 v on blue to ground with blades on and throttle wide open, now to make certain I am doing this correct, I have unplugged the harness from the spade blades and checking for voltage while the wires ar unplugged .

OK you have a problem with the alternator which is why the battery is runnng down.
It is a big job requiring some heavish lifting and wrenching so it is a job to be done with a helper.
If you pull the flywheel and find a broken wire then solder it but otherwise second hand stator coils are fairly easy to come by
 
Kohler Command Pro 23
Model CH23S
Serial 3134001301
Family 1KHXS. 7252GC
Disp. 674

All the dope I could find on the motor
 
Last edited:
OK, did not see your post prior to my post, so then pull the screen and then the flywheel while engine is mounted on mower, where is the alt. Located? Is it behind the flywheel? Or does it mount inline/beside the flywheel and driven by the flywheel? I can't seem to find a drawing on this engine anywhere that I trust. If it requires removing the engine from the mower I better not tackle it and continue as we have in the past, but if it's flywheel only maybe we can handle that, is if difficult/complex/complicated to do this endeavor? Probably not for you as you are a professional and can do it in your sleep. Thanks for any recommendations.
 
Only when I sleep with a big hammer and SHMBO does not quite fit into that catagory being 5' tall and about 50kg wringing wet :laughing:
The best place to find parts break downs are the on line parts retailers and I use Jacks Small Engines a lot,
This should be your mower:- You will have to put the www bit in front of it as URLs don't work sometimes
jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/kohler/oem-cross-reference/exmark-mfg/ch23-76550-exmark-mfg-23-hp-17-2-kw/ignition-electrical-5-24-372-ch18-750
Getting the flywheel off can be a problem and in your caase it is a double problem as the stud shaft has to be disconnected then be pulled off and after that there is still not much space to work in.
Flywheel has magnets glued inside so excessive pounding on it will brake them loose.
I use an impact driver and a 2 leg puller usually but for these I made up a puller that screws into the same holes that hold the stub shaft.
I am sure that others have special tricks or know where you can get a cheap puller from over there.
On the 2000 series Cubs, I pull the engine out because it is easier to do that on them but the engine in yours sits down in a high wall bay so that is heart attack material without mechanical lifters.
 
Dynamite comes in small packages.... I figured the flywheel would have magnets and the stator would be directly behind it. I guess the what I would call fan is in front of the flywheel with the screen in front of that. I may make an attempt at it, but it doesn't sound like it will be the best day of my life. I have a few fan blade pullers and 3 leg misc pullers so that may be the downfall of my repair attempt, my luck is I will break or crack the flywheel or knock the magnets loose and then the price just doubled. I may go by our local eXmark dealer and ask how much for them to make the repair, only problem is if they break or crack the Fwheel or break off a magnet, I will still have to pay for the parts and labor for them to correct their mistakes, so 50-50 either way but they are set up to do repairs in their shop, and I will be out in the elements on the gravel drive to the shed. Thanks so very much for all your help I really do appreciate it more than you will ever know, maybe some day I can return the favor. Now that I found this site I may hang around some in the shadows and read and learn, I always wanted to become a small engine mechanic, when I was a young man I almost sent away for a course in SER but decided in applianc repair instead, then went to work for a Electrical Contractor, studied HVACR at night and took all and every seminar/workshop/course that I could get my hands on, well the rest is history, 40 years doing electrical, Heating and air, carpentry, plumbing, appliance repair anything dealing with construction, repair , service, maintenance or replace,but never much with these big mowers.
 
If you look at that diagam you will see the flywheel is bare.
the fan is plastic and is held on with tiny bolts you will definately loose on a horizontal shaft engine.
Downside is removing the drive shaft.
They either fall right off or fight you every inch of the way.
After that is off then the blower housing, fan and flywheel.
 
What are the chances of seeing and or being able to move the wires without all of the disassembly to check for broken or loose wires?
 
If you don' t mind would you please go to:
https://www.kohler-engine-parts.ope...670_CH680_CH730_CH740_CH750_REVISED_9_15J.pdf

The electrical starts on page 33 and tell me which type/drawing is the one that I have, I can read these and tell what goes where.

Kohler Command Pro 23
Model CH23S
Serial 3134001301
Family 1KHXS. 7252GC
Disp. 674

Thanks for all your help, if you wer'nt a boat ride away I would have you over for a cookout and beer party for all your help.
 
Back
Top