Wide mower with multiple blades not cutting properly

Scooby2

Member
I just got an MTD FLORICO 76 lawn tractor with a single wide mower deck. Its weird it has multiple short blades bolted to a central hub. Ive never seen anything like it. The seller said it was a professional model but it is terrible at cutting tall grass. Can anyone tell me, is this meant for golf courses or something? Can the blades be easily replaced with a single blade?
Thanks
 
I take that this is a 30-inch cut mower deck?

What horsepower?

I think this was a "manicure" trim mower deck design that was short lived. Not good for tall grass or general mowing of large areas. You have to mow with RPM on high and slow ground speed.

It is a pain, but the blades need to be kept sharp and all the same weight so vibration does not kill the spindle bearings.

You would have to disassemble the main blade pan to see if it has a bar attached to the spindle. If so, the old design I can think of at the moment that has a single blade would be an early Snapper RER with a 30-inch cutting deck.
 
Yes 30”. I removed it and the shaft is a 1” splined shaft. Sharpened blades and removed 4 of the 8. Still cuts like crap. Id like to replace with a single blade but how
 
Wow! I have never seen a cutter disk /head/system quite like that.

In theory it should work very well. The more cutters the less each has to do delivering more consistent power demand from the engine and a smoother cut.

I wonder if some of the problem may be how the cutter head is set up?

My conventional understanding is that ALL horizontal rotating cutter systems, should be set up to be slight lower at the front. The idea being that only the leading arc cuts, while the trailing is out of work (less drag).

My own experience would sagest that too often people assume the deck itself (a cowling) is the indicator of cutter head angle. This can lead to cutter head angle not being optimised for the job.

I would be checking the working angle of the cutter disk AND the engines working rpm before making any changes.

NOTE: Very few lawn mowers are designed / good for cutting long grass. Check out how an agricultural mower, designed for cutting tall/long material, for hay making or crop swathing, is designed - very diffrent.

:devilish:
 
Yes 30”. I removed it and the shaft is a 1” splined shaft. Sharpened blades and removed 4 of the 8. Still cuts like crap. Id like to replace with a single blade but how
Have you verified this has a good deck drive belt tension and it is the correct belt? A wrong belt will sit too deep in the pulley grooves and slip especially when under load and cutting. I have seen many belts slip before and never make any noise.
 
Back
Top