Export thread

Why wont my mower start on its own

03grandam

03grandam

Hello all first time on this forum I’m lookin for some help with my mower, I have a John Deere D105 I believe it has a 17hp engine on it. It will start off of starter fluid being sprayed into the carb. But it’ll just spin over with out it. I have checked the fuel solenoid it is working, I’ve changed the spark plug and made sure I’m getting spark which I am, I’ve changed the fuel filter, I’ve cleaned out the carb and made sure it was getting fuel into it, made sure there was nothing in the fuel lines it also has fresh gas in it so I’m not sure why it wont start I’ve tried checking everything I’ve known to check there doesn’t seem to be an electrical issue I could be wrong but I don’t believe there is if anyone has any ideas anything would be appreciated thank you.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I'd check to be sure the choke is closing fully.

03grandam

03grandam

I'd check to be sure the choke is closing fully.
I did notice that my choke was open but it has a spring under it and it wont stay closed how do I get it to stay closed? Like there is a spring right under it where it bolts to the carb itself

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I did notice that my choke was open but it has a spring under it and it wont stay closed how do I get it to stay closed? Like there is a spring right under it where it bolts to the carb itself
Post up the Engine Model numbers and Manufacturer name (Briggs, Kawasaki, Kohler?) If it's a Briggs, the model number should be stamped on the valve cover at the front of the engine,
You should either have a separate choke cable on the dash, or you may have to move the throttle all the way up to engage the choke, or the engine has an Automatic choke that is not working properly.

B

bertsmobile1

Undo the choke cable clamp.
Move the wire & tighten it again.
The cable slips under the clamp over time

T

Telesis

I have a D105 and the choke is engaged when the throttle is pushed up past the WOT detent. I agree with Bert. Loosen the cable clamp and move the cable a bit to the right and tighten. In this case there isn't a separate choke cable; it's integral to the throttle cable as Scrub alluded to. [fwiw, I'm sure his has the same Briggs 31R977 motor as mine]

03grandam

03grandam

I
I have a D105 and the choke is engaged when the throttle is pushed up past the WOT detent. I agree with Bert. Loosen the cable clamp and move the cable a bit to the right and tighten. In this case there isn't a separate choke cable; it's integral to the throttle cable as Scrub alluded to. [fwiw, I'm sure his has the same Briggs 31R977 motor as mine]
do have the same motor as urs and I just tried starting it with the choke completely closed and it still doesn’t turn over I’m not sure what else to look for

03grandam

03grandam

It is fully engaging the choke

B

bertsmobile1

If the choke is closed fully and it starts with dope sprayed into he carb then the carb is dirty & needs a clean or even a rebild .
Instructions will be found here

B

Born2Mow

...the choke is engaged when the throttle is pushed up past the WOT detent.
Is "WOT" the same as "WFO" ?? These technical terms confuse me.

:ROFLMAO:

B

beenthere

Not sure of your question, maybe just being funny.
From a previous message in another thread, you said:
There is a Hi and Lo adjustment screw. Hi is for full throttle (aka "WFO"). Three guesses what Lo is for.
So maybe you know what WFO stands for, rather than WOT (wide open throttle)?

H

Hcube

I have a John Deere d140, may not be the same carb, but the
choke helper spring in broken on mine and I have to help the
choke close for the engine to start.

The spring is not costly but the job to install it is a lot of work.
The choke shaft has to be removed to do the chore. (project)

G

Gord Baker

WOT Wide Open Throttle. WFO ???

J

jjordan189

Hello all first time on this forum I’m lookin for some help with my mower, I have a John Deere D105 I believe it has a 17hp engine on it. It will start off of starter fluid being sprayed into the carb. But it’ll just spin over with out it. I have checked the fuel solenoid it is working, I’ve changed the spark plug and made sure I’m getting spark which I am, I’ve changed the fuel filter, I’ve cleaned out the carb and made sure it was getting fuel into it, made sure there was nothing in the fuel lines it also has fresh gas in it so I’m not sure why it wont start I’ve tried checking everything I’ve known to check there doesn’t seem to be an electrical issue I could be wrong but I don’t believe there is if anyone has any ideas anything would be appreciated thank you.
I had the same problem with my Toro ZRT. It was determined that the spring that regulated the valve opening and closing had broken off.

E

enigma-2

Not sure of your question, maybe just being funny.
From a previous message in another thread, you said:

So maybe you know what WFO stands for, rather than WOT (wide open throttle)?
Old term meaning "weights fully out", (governor on steam engine). Engine running wide open.

H

Hilton43

Getting fuel to the carb doesn’t complete the job, the carb mixes air with the fuel and delivers it to the engine. If it runs with starter fluid then it will run on the fuel/ air mixture. First check for a sticking needle valve, this is done by removing the carburetor bowl and gently lifting and lowering the float while observing the needle valve. It should move up and down freely and smoothly. The next thing to check is the fuel jet, you should run a small diameter wire through it ( I have used a single strand of a stranded copper wire, also a screen wire will work)