why is middle blade cutting higher than the two outside blades?

bcorrell

Forum Newbie
I have a model 416 wheel horse with a 42" side discharge mower deck. It is a 1990 model. Recently the middle blade has been cutting quite a bit higher than the two outside blades. I have removed blades and sharpened them to no avail. The deck belt has recently been replaced. I am in need of suggestions as to why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Check spindle for up and down play, shaft, bearings, bushings may be worn out. Lower deck to lowest setting and place a prybar,etc. under pulley and try raising pulley, you should take belt off pulley to relieve tension. Check other spindles same way.
 
Last edited:
Yes I would say the center spindle has a problem. As I recall the center spindle's grease fitting tens to break off and then that spindle never gets grease on that model Wheel horse. The deck lift arm hits that fitting.
 
Check spindle for up and down play, shaft, bearings, bushings may be worn out. Lower deck to lowest setting and place a prybar,etc. under pulley and try raising pulley, you should take belt off pulley to relieve tension. Check other spindles same way.

Check the deck with a straight edge
tO SEE IF IT IS WARPED
 
Back
Top