Why did the cable break?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Early last summer the front drive control cable on my five year old Yard Man self propelled front drive pusher began to hang up, I have other mowers so I just put it aside. Took the cable off when I stored it last fall, finally got around to looking at it in my basement shop. This is weird but the braided inner core broke off about 8 inches from the drive transmission end, I pulled both ends out of the cable and the ends of both are TAPERED for about 5 inches...like if you took a pencil and cut it lengthwise at an angle. I am thinking there was a kink in the cable housing somewhere that gradually abraded the inner core over time. Have NEVER seen anything like this before. Replacement is about $21 with shipping thru the MTD website....:eek:

LandN

Threads
i had a drive cable on a 33" mower (sears) and it broke at the 's' hook on the trigger and sears was out to my house and replaced the cable for free, what a nice service call that was:thumbsup::smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
i had a drive cable on a 33" mower (sears) and it broke at the 's' hook on the trigger and sears was out to my house and replaced the cable for free, what a nice service call that was:thumbsup::smile:

That must have been a warranty repair...but no mower maker warrantees a mower cable for over a year that I know of.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
That happened on my dad's lawn boy (the 4 stroke I have talked about that he gave me). When I got it, he said he didn't even know it was self-propelled.

When I took it apart, the cable did exactly what you describe. Except, it was right where it was clamped to the handlebars on the side. Figure somebody overtightened it (or maybe the factory did).

Put a cable on it from a junk rally (was an engine brake cable....LOL), and it worked like a dream!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That happened on my dad's lawn boy (the 4 stroke I have talked about that he gave me). When I got it, he said he didn't even know it was self-propelled.

When I took it apart, the cable did exactly what you describe. Except, it was right where it was clamped to the handlebars on the side. Figure somebody overtightened it (or maybe the factory did).

Put a cable on it from a junk rally (was an engine brake cable....LOL), and it worked like a dream!

Twall....score +1
Old fart...score -0