Why chose a Ferris?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pro- I have a three wheel 60 pro cut and it is the best mower I have ever owned, .cuts good and easy to operate. Con- Very costly to repair.

tmar04

Threads
I just bought a Ferris commercial Pro Cut 48, that is 27 yrs old and all original. I figured if it could run good after 27 yrs, then I'd bet on it. Has Kohler 18 Magnum that pulls strong as a bull, and cuts smooth. no leaks, all mechanical, and /FerrisIndustries has super customer support. I am second owner and plan to use it on a 15 acre mini farm I own in So Georgia.:smile:

schmidtsm

Threads
I like the idea o full suspension but how long do the shocks last and what does it cost to repair?

Carl_NH

Forum Newbie
Threads
They are well built and have a great suspension. As to repairing the shocks I cant imagine more than $50 a piece and I would think 10 years at least for a homeowner before replacement.

If you look close at the IS2000 model it is a full independent suspension, and heavy duty hardware and high quality locknuts on everything. Bearings on the hand brake, and its the overall build quality.

As to repairs I dont anticpate anymore than my 22 YO cub cadet garden tractor - maybe less over the long haul.

Lukesin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Newbie here. I have been looking into a zero turn to replace my tractor. I have been looking at the Ferris models and a few others. One thing I wanted to ask was about pulling implements behind. I understand it's a whole new steering experience and backing up, but what about pulling sprayers or lawn carts. Does anyone? Thanks.

Carl_NH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes - I pull a trac vac (300Lbs+ full) with the IS2000 and also I use it to pull a 10 CU Ft cart for from my woods to the wood pile with split wood.

I did add a hydro oil cooler (standard on IS3100 and up models) for $50 in the return line to the resivoir tank and mounted this above the engine to pull air trhu it. This reduced the hydro temp from 180 to 135 or so.

Attachments

• Ferris cooler 5.jpg
    Ferris cooler 5.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 58

Carl_NH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thats a "fancy" hitch - mine was $35 on ebay so for the money that one you showed is much nicer.

As far as backing up, and turning with a cart behind the ZTR is actually a lot easier to back up as you can make corrections quickly and manuever a lot esier than a garden tractor. You dont have to reverse steer as much and its just easier.

As far as reliablity the Ferris are right up there with SCAG, Exmark, and all the top brands. What sets them apart is the suspension - true 4 wheel independent suspension on the IS2000 and up models and basic suspension on the IS1500 and IS500.

Then the hardware they use - all locknuts with nylon ferrules, and the HD frame and suspension once you look at one and then ride one you will see the difference.

I have a lot of rough ground (former forest) and rocks/ledge around and the Ferris handles it nicely and the cut is quite good.

Prepare to spend $5K + for the IS500-1500 series and $7K + for the IS2000 series. Now is a good time to buy before winter as well and you can get 0% for 3 years.

Lukesin

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's what I like to hear. I was leaning Scag, now, going have to put some dealership time in. Maybe a couple test drives, too.

I like that hitch. Wish it would have been around some years ago. But would like to hear some input on those first, too.

Thanks again, Carl. You just made it harder for me to pick. :laughing:

ferrisbestyet

Threads
Re: Why chose a Ferris? Just pure quajity ,,, Just ride on it,,,,,Mechamic 30 ye

What is the benefit of having suspension on all four wheels. In what ways does that effect the mower and its performance? What are some of the other pros and cons?
Just pure quality ,,,Just ride on it,,, You will feel the difference,, Mechanic 30 years