Repairs While mowing engine stopped running

rickyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member and need some guidance. I have a craftmans riding mower with a 19.5 hp BS and a 42 in mowing deck that is 12 years old. While mowing engine started acting like it was running out of gas and finally quit. Gas level was checked and still had a quarter of a tank. Tried restarting with no luck. Thinking it might be a fuel problem, took air cleaner off and put some gas directly into the carb and tried to restart with no luck. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I know that I have gotten my money worth out of this tractor and thinking about a JD X320 but still would like to get this old veteran running again.

Retired Navy

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First off if you have a craftsman that has done good for 12 years why would you buy a junk Deere?
Lets just fix your craftsman.
First thing I would look at is the fuel filter make sure gas is getting to it and going past it once you know if your getting gas to the carb then report back.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
New member and need some guidance. I have a craftmans riding mower with a 19.5 hp BS and a 42 in mowing deck that is 12 years old. While mowing engine started acting like it was running out of gas and finally quit. Gas level was checked and still had a quarter of a tank. Tried restarting with no luck. Thinking it might be a fuel problem, took air cleaner off and put some gas directly into the carb and tried to restart with no luck. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I know that I have gotten my money worth out of this tractor and thinking about a JD X320 but still would like to get this old veteran running again.

Retired Navy
I believe I'd be checking for spark by locating and disconnecting the coil ground wire that comes from under the engine shroud / cowling .

rickyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replys. Check for fuel as much as you can without the vacum of the motor and the fuel line disconnected. Fuel did come out of the carb when the fuel line was disconnected. I would have thought by putting some gas directly into the carb and trying to start would have let me know if I had a fuel problem.
Removed upper engine cover and readujsted the armature air gap to .012 and tested it at both disconnected spark plug boots with a test light while turning the engine over with the starter. The test light did not light on either plug.

countrybumpkin

Forum Newbie
Threads

Retired Navy

I have had plugs to do that before

rickyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Plugs or plug wires? When I performed the test it was just with the plug wires.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you unhook the ground wire ( kill wire ) from the coil.

rickyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did find the ground wire to the coil under the coil but I performed the test with the wire connected.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unhook it and if it has spark then there is a short some where or it is a safety switch

rickyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did as you suggested and disconnected the grd wire. And the old girl started right up. Had to grd out the plug to get her to shut off. Not smooth, but about the same as always for a 12 yrs old. Will check for a short, but if I can't locate one is their another way that you know of to make a simple homemade mod.?
How if I can figure out why she goes through a 1/2 qt of oil everytime I use her to mow a acre she would be good as new. She has no oil leaks.