Which would you prefer for your own mower?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh great now you done it . Every idiot is going to eat lead. Well sorta and it still kills a lot of them rather quickly every day. About 54 lives per day lately here in the USA.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I did it .
And silver , tin , nickle , aluminium & paladium
We split the metals amongst the class, all swallowed a pea sized ball then recovered it ( messy) washed & dried them to a constant weight then comparred the before & after weights.
Nickle & aluminium both were a lot lighter , silver just barely measurable , lead & tin were the same weight down to 0.01g

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And those that use aluminum cookware ingest aluminum every time eat meals prepare in them. This why most my pans are either cast iron or steel steel. I seen how my aluminum pans were being eaten away by foods. A lot old antiperspirant was aluminum based too.

BrianSki

Threads
Lead metal poses no more environmental hazard than any other metal
You can eat it.
A few years ago... Well maybe a decade. They were banning kid's ride on toys. Because of the lead in the battery terminals. It was considered a lead hazard. Go figure. If the kids are going to chew on battery terminals...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The history of the demonization of lead.
During the fuel crisis Europe wanted to use the local oil for fuel rather than middle eastern oil.
The local oils are not suitable for making petrol with
So rather than spending a fortune cleaning the locally distilled petrol at the refinery they made the customer do it in their exhaust and pretended it was to "clean the air"
The US followed suit shortly after as it pushed the price of fuel up with out increasing the pump price thus increasing the profitability of all of the USA oil companies.
Now lead is a neuro toxin, but no where near as powerful as copper , but no talk about banning copper is there , and if you think about it IUD's are all copper to kill the sperm & any developing fetus & the eggs themselves. We use copper based insectcides to kill a lot of agricultural pests .
Now because the media are pig ignorant about science but very well versed in creating panic , they latched onto lead and worked up fear of lead to a manical frienzy level.
Thus now any time any one says lead, every one thinks " nasty poison ".
Lead in petrol never was a health problem unless you swam in petrol , drank gallons of it or sniffed it for months on end.
Once it has passed through the engine there is no way your body can adsorb it, basic laws of entrophy.
What is dangerous is lead oxides, all 3 of them which were used extensively as fillers & UV adsorbers / barriers .
We are all familiar with red lead paint, and some would be familiar with white lead , most auto undercoats had lead oxide in them.
And that is where most enviromental lead came from prior to the ban.
Now the CO2 levels in the atmosphere, significant amounts of leadcarbonate are entering from lead roofing products being dissolved by weak carbonic acid rain .

Next who is at risk ?

Every one under about 25 by which time most brains are fully developed as the biggest problem is brain damage.
After that the problem is oxygen depletion because lead IONS attach to the oxygen atoms in your blood so adults suffer from annemia and the solution is to remove them from the leadded environment where they will make a 100% recovery.
I used to work in the lead industry.
One of my jobs was the biological monitoring of lead in our lead workers so I am very familiar with the TRUTH which is a long way from what the public is told.
Lead will accumulate in both the livers & kidneys where it usually does no damage and can be removed by medications ( not pleasant ) .
Zinc on the other hand is fatal as a metal as an oxide as a sulfate/ sulphide as a chlorate/chloride & as a carbonate.
Zinc also accumulates in both the liver & kidney where it will cause kidney failure and can not be treated any way other than removal of the kidney .
Welders & galvanizers will all be familiar with the warnings about "Zinc Fume Fever"
But we don't see people screaming for the banning of zinc plate or galvanized steel

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lead in petrol never was a health problem unless you swam in petrol , drank gallons of it or sniffed it for months on end.
Bert, That was the problem. In large cities we were sitting traffic jams sniffing the fumes for hours on end every day. Even today we can still find huge amounts of lead along roadsides. Another thing that was ban was lead used to seal our metal cans used for food storage.

All lead produces oxides when long exposure to the elements occur.

The problem is that all these metals and other items are cumulative over long term. One of labs for the effect on life out there is our oceans and those animals and plants are beginning show the results now. Like fish with micro plastics and mercury. There is so much waste in our environment now it isn't funny. What worst is we are the abomination to nature. IF everyone would actual do their part we and nature would better off.

People thinks oh it is just one candy wrapper but what are not thinking is the millions of them being being thrown out in the environment instead of being at least put in a garbage can. Or it just one tee shirt plastic bag that blew out of the vehicle yet they seen thousands of them on their drive back from the store. Some of our wildlife dies unnecessarily every day because of one these bags.I know that I had to rescue several animals myself over the years.

Landfills contains lots toxic metals. One of lead sources were the old CRT which are still be used but finally being phased out by the consumer. The backs of them were coated with lead to eliminate the x-ray hazards. Another source of consumer lead pollution is out electronics.

I think toxic metal build up in our body is part of the problem causing dementia and other mental problems. But we are constantly swallowing poisons every day called medicine. Personally I avoid as much as I can. Recently my doctor wanted to switch my blood pressure meds but said right off that I had to take monthly tests to check my kidney functions. Needless to say I not taking those meds. I do have it under control at 130-140 / 85-95 which a lot better than the over 250/120 that put me in the horsepital with my whole left side shutting down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sitting in traffic would only be a problem from sniffing unburned fuel as far as lead goes & you would have to sniff a lot of it.
Nitrogen oxides is what makes you sick in heavy traffic and on still days, straight lack of oxygen &/or CO & CO2 posioning
On a still day the O2 content of air can drop down to levels low enough to render people unconscious
Once the lead has been through you engine what comes out of the tailpipe is totally inert.
IT is also very hot so rises up into the air,and can travel for miles..
The lead on the side of the road is from paint dust and from tires.
All of the tests are fudged because they are only testing for lead and not what compound the lead is in or it's valence state.
So I can pass the dust through an Acetylene - Nitrous flame and get a lead reading but that lead can never be adsorbed by your body.
You test for lead posioning by doing urine & stool analysis because the body is removing the lead all by itself.
You screen for lead posioning by doing hemaglobens which will go down as the lead binds the oxygen in your blood.
After that it is a urinary ALA then if that looks bad a full chemical blood analysis.

You get more lead from cheap Chinese & Mexican pottery than you would ever have gotten from the tetra-ethyl lead used in fuels .
Lead solder used to seal cans firstly does not get to the food, secondly does not dissolve into the food & thirdly would go strait through the body if it did.
The only environmental risk would be to the cannery workers breathing the fume off the lead on very old lines where molten lead is used.
Th more modern plants put a ribbon of lead between the top & side then rolls them together twice, the heat from this is generally enough to melt the solder .
They dug up some lead lined cans of beef from Napoleons venture into Russia in 1975 and to every ones surprise the beef was still quite editable .
OTOH the supposedly "safe" lead free solder used in modern cans can not make the same long term seal and canned foods go off very quickly, particularly canned fruits where the juices are quite acidic, so people are posioned on a daily basis from the new "safe" cans because they leak .
Your gut is hydrochloric acid and prior to the invention of fiberglass , bulk hydrochloric acid was shipped in lead lined steel containers because lead is totally insoluable in hydrochloric acid .
As mentioned previously lead is soluable in carbonic acid formed by rain passing through CO2 but you would have to drink 1,000,000 gallons to get a dose that may cause problems.
It only takes about 2 weeks for a badly leaded furnace man with a hemogloben of 5 to recover from lead exposure and get back into the teens .

The lead oxides are tough and really not simple acid soluable remember they do not dissolve in battery acid either . You use nitric acid or better still aqua rega to dissolve lead .
How many times have you needed to scrape a battery terminal to get a good electrical connection because the surface had oxadised ?
Some oxides are tough and bound very strong, like lead & stainless steel which we are all familiar with.
Others are quite loose, adsorb water and flake off like red rust Fe203 or white aluminium oxide Al2 O3 -6H20
Mill scale ( FeO ) is formed at a much higher temperature than rust Fe203 and is tough and not water soluable
It is all about the entropy ( energy used in to formation ) and basically if you put a lot of energy in to make a stable compound then it takes more energy to break it down.

All metal oxides are posionous, electrical & thermal insulators & abrasive.
Take too many antacid tablets ( MgO ) and you are in for a stomach pump yet a couple will settle a bloated stomach quite happily.

IT is all about the valence state of the metal ions and the strength of the bonds
Chromium 1 & 2 are fine but Cr6 is fatal in trace amounts

Last edited: