Which is worth fixing?

boydmiles

Threads
I have a few old mowers (push, cheap) and was wondering which B&S engine is worth trying to get running. I know some of the newer ones are trash from the factory so if that is a new complaint there must have been something that was good when new. Don't want to waste time and money on the wrong mower.
Thanks

TonyPrin

Threads
boydmiles, IMO it's not possible to answer based only on your OP. What mowers do you have and what's wrong with them?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the mower form mechanics could have the engine number they may be able to tell you which engine will bolt to the same holes and the size of the crank and drive pulley .

boydmiles

Threads
I was looking for more of a general "if you see one of these buy it" kind of advice. Which older Briggs are worth keeping and which ones are scrap?
The old "they don't make them like they used to" line.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any thing with a cast iron sleeve or full cast iron cylinder

TonyPrin

Threads
I was looking for more of a general "if you see one of these buy it" kind of advice. Which older Briggs are worth keeping and which ones are scrap?
The old "they don't make them like they used to" line.
Going back, B&S made over 10 million engines a year and around 30 models most of which could be used in a mower. It's far easier for you to say which you have than for me to critique each model. As a general comment, though, the 300 series models are good engines found in low cost mowers.

boydmiles

Threads
Maybe the opposite version of the question would be easier. Which B & S push mower size engines would you not bother to fix?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Maybe the opposite version of the question would be easier. Which B & S push mower size engines would you not bother to fix?
If the parts to mower are all there, and it is in relatively good shape, then fixing any Briggs and Stratton engine and getting it starting and running should be worth the effort. You could even sell them once ready to go.