Which engine to get...

Mmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I have a 33 inch Troy Bilt walk behind that needs a new engine. I've narrowed it down to a B&S 10.5 to 11.5 but dont know which charging system to get on it. The existing engine had an electric start with battery. Which charging system do I get? 16amp alternator, 3/5 amp duel amp alternator,..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's wrong with the old engine?

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you provide us with the original engine model number, a tech might can get you the charging amperage specs for the original so you can match it up.

Mmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
The current engine is a replacement... I bought it used and its burned oil since day one. It stopped charging the battery a couple years ago so I've just been jumping it, there is no recoil start. I couldn't get it to start about a month ago so I took off the air filter to spray some starter fluid in the carb and when I turned the key gas or oil sprayed all over the place from the top of the carb. Maybe that's normal, but between the oil burning, the fact that it doesn't charge the battery anymore, and it not starting I figured I would replace it. It might be fixable but dont want to find out that it cant be after someone digs into it and I have to pay them in addition. I cant seem to find the model number of the current engine, but the engine that was on it when I bought it used is 220707-0639 01, but no idea if that is the original engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wonder if it's an Intek or other know for head gasket issues? If so that is a cheap fix. Starter issue should be fairly cheap too. Might spend the price of a steak dinner to get her running right again. Will be cheaper than a new engine/mower.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post a couple of pictures of the wiring and connections coming from under the engine shroud, then we can see what you have or might have had before the engine was replaced.

Mmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now you all have me thinking... anyone located in northern CT?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your mower has an electric blade clutch you'll need the more powerful charging system. If not the smaller units will work fine. The dual amp sized system is one DC for recharge and separate AC winding for the headlights.