Where to buy

deminin

Threads
I will probably be in the market for a new lawn tractor before long...my old Snapper riding mower is about to run out of steam. I've been looking at various makes and models at retailers...Walmart, Lowe's, Menard's, etc...and also at some of the mower dealers. I see what appears to be the same models at the big stores, and at the dealers...but there is usually a slight difference in the model numbers. Do these manufacturers make one level of equipment for the Big Box stores, and another for the dealers? The models at the dealers are usually a bit higher in price, which is understandable....but do the dealers get a higher quality product than the retailers??? I am not that concerned about a few percentage points in price...I would rather pay a bit more for something that is likely to last longer, and be better built.

Ideas? Suggestions?....Thanks, in advance.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will probably be in the market for a new lawn tractor before long...my old Snapper riding mower is about to run out of steam. I've been looking at various makes and models at retailers...Walmart, Lowe's, Menard's, etc...and also at some of the mower dealers. I see what appears to be the same models at the big stores, and at the dealers...but there is usually a slight difference in the model numbers. Do these manufacturers make one level of equipment for the Big Box stores, and another for the dealers? The models at the dealers are usually a bit higher in price, which is understandable....but do the dealers get a higher quality product than the retailers??? I am not that concerned about a few percentage points in price...I would rather pay a bit more for something that is likely to last longer, and be better built.

I suggest a dealer. Think of it this way... If your new mower has a mechanical issue that needs warranty work, then you will have to take it to a dealer for repairs. Walmart, Home Depot, nor Lowes have the ability to do warranty work. Big box stores purchase large quantities of mowers, so they get better prices. There may also be some differences in the mowers sold at big box stores. Some corners may have been cut to get prices down. Dealers will make customers who purchase mowers from them their priority.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Yes and No
Harbour Freight get a wholesaler to buy 1,000,000 mower from China for $ 500, then pay them $ 600 and retail them to you for $ 1750. So they can claim that XX% of what they sell is sourced locally.
Wallmart demmand 1,000,000 ride ons for $ 1000 so they can retail them for $ 2000 and the mower companies take short cuts to get them down to that price
They can do all sorts of things you will not notice like use press dies that are no longer good with thinner steel then make it feel thick by coating with a very heavy powder coat.
So you will see what looks like exactly the same machine painted in 6 different colours with 6 different brand names at 6 different prices.
Sears get the Craftsman range made to their specification so there is no worries with them as the do offer parts & service.
Some brands like Honda claim theirs are exactly the same but Honda are big enough to make other deals on things like financing.
Some times they will take remainder stock at a big discount and this is generally the same as what you would see at a mower shop.

Then remember while mower shops are obliged to do warranttee work on mowers you bought from elsewhere , they make no profit on doing this so your mower will be well down on the priorirty list should it need repair.
Some shops will use this to establish a relationship with you in the hope of selling you products in the future while other will do the beligerently and treat you in the same mannar.
No one likes doing all the hard work then watching some bast*rd cream off all of the profits.

Dad had a little saying he was fond of "he who buys cheap pays thrice"

deminin

Threads
I suggest a dealer. Think of it this way... If your new mower has a mechanical issue that needs warranty work, then you will have to take it to a dealer for repairs. Walmart, Home Depot, nor Lowes have the ability to do warranty work. Big box stores purchase large quantities of mowers, so they get better prices. There may also be some differences in the mowers sold at big box stores. Some corners may have been cut to get prices down. Dealers will make customers who purchase mowers from them their priority.

That's the way I'm leaning. I have never had to take a mower in for service...I try to take good care of my equipment, and do all the service/maintenance well before its due...fluids/filters, etc. However, as I get older, the day may come when I need to go to a dealer for service.

If I look at 2 "identical" mowers at a dealer and then the big retailers, I see a model number of "12345A" at the dealer, and a model "12345B" at the Big store. There appears to be subtle differences, if I look closely. I have Snapper, Cub Cadet, and JD dealers fairly close by in this rural area, so I hope to nurse my old Snapper rider through the Summer, and watch for any Year End specials, this Fall, at the dealers. Even if I have to pay a couple hundred more at the dealer, I suspect the long term results will be cheaper.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's the way I'm leaning. I have never had to take a mower in for service...I try to take good care of my equipment, and do all the service/maintenance well before its due...fluids/filters, etc. However, as I get older, the day may come when I need to go to a dealer for service.

If I look at 2 "identical" mowers at a dealer and then the big retailers, I see a model number of "12345A" at the dealer, and a model "12345B" at the Big store. There appears to be subtle differences, if I look closely. I have Snapper, Cub Cadet, and JD dealers fairly close by in this rural area, so I hope to nurse my old Snapper rider through the Summer, and watch for any Year End specials, this Fall, at the dealers. Even if I have to pay a couple hundred more at the dealer, I suspect the long term results will be cheaper.

Purchasing a mower after mowing season is a good idea. Dealers will want to clear out stock, so they can get the new line in. I purchased mine in the winter, and got a very good deal.

deminin

Threads
Purchasing a mower after mowing season is a good idea. Dealers will want to clear out stock, so they can get the new line in. I purchased mine in the winter, and got a very good deal.

I think I'm going to start visiting the dealers, and jotting down the current prices....that way, when it goes on "sale" later in the year, I'll know if it really is a sale. Right now, the biggest problem on the old Snapper is all 4 tires are starting to crack on the sidewalls....after 16 years, whudathot. Instead of putting 2 or 3 hundred into new tires, and a blade, etc., etc., I'll treat it gently for the rest of this year, and perhaps in Oct/Nov, get a new unit. There's an old guy down the road who works on mowers and small engines, so I'll just give the Snapper to him, and he can either fix it up for resale, or use it for parts. I mow well over an acre, so I think I'll spring for a hydrostatic riding mower with a 42 or 46 inch deck. If the Snapper craps out before then, I can always just mow around the house with the Toro recycler, and put the brush hog on my Kubota tractor and use that for the bigger areas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Down here dealers get their mowers on credit.
The length of that credit varies as the season progresses ( gets longe towards the end )
So a lot of shops will give a big discount on only 1 or 2 mowerers as thoes credit dates are about to come due.
So you haunt several dealers who have the machine you want then suddnely it will be a couple of hundred cheaper.
It is one thing to sell a mower at cost while it is still on credit during the low cash flow season.
It is a totall different thing to find $ 5000 to pay for a machine that will sit on your floor for 4 to 6 months.
This only happens to Ma & Pa type shops, big box never pay for their mowers till they are sold so get indefinate finance.

ntran

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go to dealers if you're looking for something commercial (Exmark, Scag, Wright, Ferris, BobCat, etc.) and willing to pay more (double what you would pay for a residential one). Otherwise you could go to HD get a residential mowers (Toro or Cub Cadet or JD) and add HD protection plan which offers free pick up and delivery in addition to 3 extra year of warranty for $350. I don't know other brands, but for residential mower, I don't think Toro and Cub offers different model at big box stores vs. dealers. Some models only available at dealers only, most of which are pro-summer or entry commercial (for instance Toro Titan or Cub Cadet Z Force commercial). I don't see any reason mower manufacturers make the same mower with difference in quality, one for dealers and one for big box stores.

The reason you could find many residential mowers in big box stores but not at dealers simply because dealers simply can't compete with big box stores pricewise due to economy of scale. Big box stores could order thousands of mower a season, hence would get a significant discount on their order. In addition, the profits on those mowers are not that great compared to a $6k - $15k one.

Why the Pros prefer commercial mower? Simply they need something that can run 8-10hrs a day, 5 days a week. If something is broken, they could drop it off at the dealer for repair, so they're willing to pay a premium for the after-sale service. If you have the money, then by on mean go for a commercial one. The experience will definitely different.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Say you go buy a John Deere from lowes. It is the exact same mower as the dealer sells. Made at the same place by the same people. Same goes for toro/snapper/cub cadet and so on.
Why do some lawn pro's buy just commercial mowers?
Because they think they need it. It's what they have been programmed to think they must have. Truth is they do not last any longer but cost more money to maintain.
I used to run $15.000 mowers now I run a $3.000 mower. Cuts just as fast and just as good. Less parts to break. And I have proving they last longer without big repair bills. I have one turned 3000 hours this week. Belts blades and tires is all that have been replaced.

ziti

Threads
A couple of years ago, I was in a similar situation. My trusty old Honda 3011H was starting to wear out and I was shopping around for a new rider. I've got just over an acre to mow and decided to go with Hustler. The nearest dealership is about 20 miles away. The reasons why I ended up buying from Lowes was the mower came with a Kawasaki engine, and I put less than 40 hours on it in a season. Figured I'd take a chance.