where can i find a mower deck

gpeade

Threads
I have a Deere 260 garden tractor but I need another deck. Well I don't have to have another deck but by the time I invest in all the new parts it needs, I am thinking I can buy a decent used one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for one? I have tried internet searches for salvage yards and so far only come up with one and he is pretty proud of that one. :frown: The tractor itself is in too good of shape to scrap but its too old to invest almost a thousand for a used deck.
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The most common reason for scrapping a mower is a thrown rod.
Second most common is a rusted out deck.
I have 20 ride ons in the grave yard all waiting to find an acceptiable deck so I can sell them.
Every season the graveyard grows 2 or 3 more for the same reason, the owners won't pay for a new deck & the big box shops won't trade in the old mower.
If you have a good quality mower then shell out for the new deck.
If it is a lower end domestic then flog it off for the price of a second hand engine.

Only way to get a second hand deck is a mower with a blown engine but there are hundreds of back yarders who seek the same mowers to pop a recon engine in & resell.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is wrong with the deck you have?

gpeade

Threads
Bert, I see what you are saying and I agree with you. Problem is I don't have $1200 for a new deck right now.
Carscw, the deck I have needs just about everything plus it is starting to rust through. It would cost me just about as much to repair is as would to replace it.
And finally boobla, I have checked there. They do have one but with shipping I'm looking at over $800 to get my hands on it. Honestly before I spend 800 on a used one I would probably call my local dealer and just buy a brand new one. I was just hoping I could find something for $500 or less but that may not be a possibility.

gfp55

Threads
I have a Deere 260 garden tractor but I need another deck. Well I don't have to have another deck but by the time I invest in all the new parts it needs, I am thinking I can buy a decent used one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for one? I have tried internet searches for salvage yards and so far only come up with one and he is pretty proud of that one. :frown: The tractor itself is in too good of shape to scrap but its too old to invest almost a thousand for a used deck.
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Do you have any pictures of your old deck? I'm not all that up on John Deere decks so I can't picture in my head what your deck looks like. Is it 46" 38" 50". I have two old John Deere deck shells in the back 40 that are just setting there. If you or I can take some pictures to see if they will work for you, you can have them for free as they will not do me any good other then scrap metal. If you want I can take some pictures and you can tell me if you want them or just one. I think they have the wheels and some brackets, but I'm not sure about anything else. Let me know.

chobbs1957

Threads
I got a friend to cut the hangar off my old deck and weld to match on another used deck. Find a ragged out machine with bad motor or transmission but salvageable deck. I did not cross brands, but moved an old style side front adjust lever Husqvarna deck to new style left rear fender adjust lever control. It went better than I could have hoped for.

Sent from my iPad using LMF

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a mower junk-yard I've been to ..... located in Ocala , Florida ........ he's got loads of JD 's out there , maybe you could call and work something out His name is Jay , nice guy and prices I paid were reasonable ......... worth a shot anyway ......... Ph# 352-208-4037 ..........Good Luck ........ Boobala ........:smile: ( Clk on enclosed pic, should expand )

BONE-YARD.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the mechanicals are good then spend $ 30 on some good rust proffing paint and give it 2 or 3 coats before you use it.
I put undershied chassis paint on the inside of decks and steel fence paint on the outside.You know how expensive these decks are.