Where are ZTR motors made

Brucebotti

Threads
I am still looking for my first ZTR. My question is, where are the Kawasaki Residential and Kohler Courage engines made? I am asking because on the snow blowere forum that I frequent, they claim that for 2013, all snow blower engines will be made in China.
Thanks,
Bruce

possum

Threads
Last I heard both those engine brands in the ZTR sized units are made in the United States. But made means little if the parts come from other countries. About every engine has some parts made elsewhere nowdays. It is supposed to be true all snowbower engines are going to be made in China. But then most of them have been for a good many years now.

Brucebotti

Threads
Possum,
Thanks for the info. I know that China can produce high quality (e.g Apple). My biggest concern is the folks that are put out of work. I know I'm considered old-fashioned, but to have a strong economy, you need to manufacture goods and provide people with decent paying jobs.
Thanks,
Bruce

smitts961

Threads
Glad to see somebody else feels the same way I do. Always try to buy American Made. You're helping workers which eventually helps yourself. This economy would be nowhere near as bad as it is if people tried to buy more American made goods.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to see somebody else feels the same way I do. Always try to buy American Made. You're helping workers which eventually helps yourself. This economy would be nowhere near as bad as it is if people tried to buy more American made goods.

Just my opinion on the decline of manufacturing in the good ole U.S.A.............does anyone realize that Unions were a great concept back in the 40's but the ever-increasing arbitrations for ridiculous salaries and benefits( just how much $$$/year is the putting bolts on a car door coming down the assembly line worth compared to other "occupations" requiring much more skills or physical extertion.....6 digits a year????). Now.....add the cheap labor prices for manufacturing garments in Indonesia and Vietnam.....well, there goes the textile industry in the U.S. or maybe the competiveness of steel manufactured in China......ouch Pittsburg and Allentown GONE as industrial giants(may as well rename the Steelers NFL team:0( and I could go on and on with examples like glass plants....now in Mexico and electronics in Japan. And we wonder WHY the United States is no longer the industrial leader of the world. IMHO, I answered that question in my very first sentence:0(

P.S.
Our labor costs(and lifestyles that we would like to become accustomed to) as well as corparate greed have essentially caused the the moving of manufacturing plants offshore by every large corporation based here. And, I'm probably going to get dinged by every user on the forum that is a Union worker.....but that's OK:0)
I've never had a problem negotiating my own salary and benefits in the I T industry for the last 43 years without paying someone to do that for me...but again the jobs in my career are quickly and agressively being off-shored or outsourced to India & Mexico(because, again same problem....they will do the job, just not as well.....for a lot less than I will)!!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Possum,
Thanks for the info. I know that China can produce high quality (e.g Apple). My biggest concern is the folks that are put out of work. I know I'm considered old-fashioned, but to have a strong economy, you need to manufacture goods and provide people with decent paying jobs.
Thanks,
Bruce

Brucebotti,
So, based upon my previous "rant' what do you think prompted Steve Jobs and Apple to turn to China to manufacture the Mac computers and other Apple products?????
P.S.
As you can easily tell...I LOVE my country and it's a real "hot button" for me to talk about our lame economy and why it's so weak:0(

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti,
So, based upon my previous "rant' what do you think prompted Steve Jobs and Apple to turn to China to manufacture the Mac computers and other Apple products?????
P.S.
As you can easily tell...I LOVE my country and it's a real "hot button" for me to talk about our lame economy and why it's so weak:0(

I agree 100%. That's the main reason why good overcame evil in WW-II. The manufacturing might of the USA made the difference.

Unfortunately it's a self fulfilling prophecy. As jobs move overseas, displaced workers have to take lower paying jobs. This forces them to cut costs and look for cheaper goods produced overseas. I myself am a "victim". I am a 63 year old engineer who spent 40 years in manufacturing. Due to my employers moving production, I now make 1/2 of what I made 20 years ago. I saw it coming, so I prepared, and as a result, I and my family are fine.

The unions can share some of the blame. I have also seen the shift from manufacturers being run by Engineers and Manufacturing folks, to accounting and finance folks as part of the blame.

Oh well, just my two cents (and worth every penny of it..:confused2:)
Bruce

smitts961

Threads
While I do agree that some things have to do with unions(I'm not against unions), I think it also has to do a lot with corporate greed. I mean these companies could keep manufacturing here, they'd just make 500 million a year instead of 800 million. I would like to think they would take that cut to keep American jobs, but they wouldn't and don't. So I think it really is a combination of both.