When to replace your mower?

Bundy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All. I currently have a 2013 Gravely ZT42 (915148) with the Kawasaki FR691V and a mulching kit. It's been incredibly reliable and other than routine maintenance the only issue was a crack in a weld that held the front end to the frame which needed a quick reweld. All parts, including belts, tires, etc., are still original and I've never had any mechanical issues (engine, spindles, transaxles, etc.) My yard is about 3/4 of an acre and is a pretty easy mow with only one moderate slope. My lawn is pretty dense and grows fast and I typically get a lot of clumps. Sometimes I'll do two passes, but usually I just go over the entire lawn with my backpack blower. I like to cut it at 3.5", but the reality is it grows so fast I rarely cut it lower than 4" until the drier months (I'm in Northeast Ohio).

With all that out of the way, when do you decide to move into a newer mower? Do you ride it until the tires fall off? Wait for some new tech? Like I said, my machine is still great mechanically, but I'm wondering if I'd get appreciably better results with a new mower? I've been looking at the new 2023 Gravely ZT X 48 or the 2023 Ariens Ikon 48 if anyone has any thoughts/opinions to share. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve got a great mower. Personally I would continue to be meticulous with routine maintenance until you have to stick more than 50% the cost of a new unit. That is the point where I recommend replacing units, unless they are unhappy with the unit. Read my signature.

Bundy

Forum Newbie
Threads
You’ve got a great mower. Personally I would continue to be meticulous with routine maintenance until you have to stick more than 50% the cost of a new unit. That is the point where I recommend replacing units, unless they are unhappy with the unit. Read my signature.
Thanks, Rivets. I’ve been leaning towards keeping it until it fails. It needs new rear tires, which is why I even started thinking about an upgrade, but probably the smart move is to ride it out.

I debated whether it was worth putting anything into it considering it’s age. The biggest consideration though was whether I could get a better, more efficient cut with the ZT X or Ikon? That, and God knows what prices are going to do in the next year or two.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every year mower quality declines in order to keep the ticket price low to satisify the dollar foolish idiot cheapskates .
Although new tyres are expensive I would not think twice about replacing them rather than replacing the mower
When it comes to domestic mowers the only 2 tractor style imported USA brands I recommend to my customers are JD & Toro.
All of the rest are junk or as call them temporary diverted land fill
When it comes to ZTR's story is the same for residential mowers, JD or Toro only
Commercial grade is a bit better but not much
Your grass does not care how old the mower is that is cutting the grass
I cut mine mostly with customers mowers as post repair test drives but when I have to use my own mowers I use stuff mostly from the 60's to 90's
All of them d abetter job than any on the modern mowers I repair

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, here in the states Toro no longer builds tractors and the quality of the JD units has gone down drastically. I’ve gotten to the point of saying “ you get what you pay for”, but there is no quality units I recommend under $2500 and that’s still a crap shoot. Best low end units are Simplicity or Ariens, but I like they are a 7-10 year unit at best.