When is it too wet to mow?

RhettWS

Threads
Thought you might get a kick out of my first real mowing with my new Raptor SD. The photo below is actually in my neighbor's yard. :shocked: Learning to steer this thing when the ground in sloppy is a real challenge. So challenging I thought I would try a second pass. First pass are the tracks on the left. Second second set of tracks is too the right. My property line is just to the left side of the trees running down the right side of the photo. Yep, still too spongy. :rolleyes:

Muddy yard.jpg

The good news is that technically I did not get stuck. My neighbor indicated we would have had to pull his Scag out with a ATV or similar. Hopefully it will start to dry soon but more rain is coming tomorrow. Rats

kraky

Threads
Wow.... I have heavy clay up here in Wisconsin and there's a virtual water way between me and my neighbor. I slid around plenty in that water way but I've never done anything like that... that is really strange. My grass stays pretty much planted as I spin across it. To me it almost looks like you're lawn was maybe planted with a real light fluffy black soil on top of the clay or something? It sure is weird how soils are different across the country...lol!

RhettWS

Threads
It is funny how the soil looks black. When dry it has a tan to red color. Very heavy clay except for a little organic layer at the top laid down by the grass over time. Hard as concrete when dry. Even more interesting is the grass is still in place in those ruts. The mud was just displaced upward and out to the side from the tires. The tires on my mower are 12" wide, one of the reasons I got it, and it sort of prevented it from chewing down to the bare dirt. I went back with my shovel and spread the goo around a little. My neighbor and I will work on a joint project later in the spring to improve the drainage in a few areas.

I still needs lots of practice on the zero turn. I was not trying to veer to the left and run out into his yard. The right tire had more traction and just pushed me over that way. Crazy but sort of neat too.

Stay warm up north!!:smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can understand why you were using your neighbors lawn to practice :thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thought you might get a kick out of my first real mowing with my new Raptor SD. The photo below is actually in my neighbor's yard. :shocked: Learning to steer this thing when the ground in sloppy is a real challenge. So challenging I thought I would try a second pass. First pass are the tracks on the left. Second second set of tracks is too the right. My property line is just to the left side of the trees running down the right side of the photo. Yep, still too spongy. :rolleyes:

View attachment 27888

The good news is that technically I did not get stuck. My neighbor indicated we would have had to pull his Scag out with a ATV or similar. Hopefully it will start to dry soon but more rain is coming tomorrow. Rats

One day, ...... if you don't already know........you will learn, lawn equipment and water ....are NOT compatible ! replacing bearings, spindles ,bushings, pulleys, etc. becomes expensive ! even if you just wash your equipment on a nice day, use a blower or air hose to clear off as much water as possible, especially the deck ( don't forget the tops of the pulleys ) and the transmission pulley too, and wash out the BOTTOM of the deck too.. decks are notorious for rusting through from the bottom -up because of clippings and mud stuck underneath.. Of course if you have a money tree in the yard , then who gives a diddly squat !! I've been there, done that !! best of luck ........ boobala :mur: :mur:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
One day, ...... if you don't already know........you will learn, lawn equipment and water ....are NOT compatible ! replacing bearings, spindles ,bushings, pulleys, etc. becomes expensive ! even if you just wash your equipment on a nice day, use a blower or air hose to clear off as much water as possible, especially the deck ( don't forget the tops of the pulleys ) and the transmission pulley too, and wash out the BOTTOM of the deck too.. decks are notorious for rusting through from the bottom -up because of clippings and mud stuck underneath.. Of course if you have a money tree in the yard , then who gives a diddly squat !! I've been there, done that !! best of luck ........ boobala :mur: :mur:

Say nothing about drive units, there just pocket change for a money tree. Ya know it's one thing to use a mower like that if your mowing for a living and you have a schedule so mowing when it's wet may be necessary, but just for the fun of it is a little much.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mowing in the rain is something that I do sometimes. As a business owner, sometimes you have no choice. My mowers sometimes get flooded on the trailer while driving back. I blow them off the best I can and put them in the shop. I know rain isn't the best for mowers, but they can handle the abuse.