When do you know it's trashed?

riseandrun

Threads
Good morning everybody,
A friend of mine at work gave me a 305 cc 1350 series. It looks like it has hardly been run... to make a long story short, when I pulled the cover off, the connecting rod is in a hundred pieces. There was very little oil in it. The dip stick was melted to a piece of connecting rod. I know it's hard to diagnose the condition of the engine without seeing it, but is there a mechanic's rule that says toss with this kind of damage? I like to tinker with motors, and if it isn't a complete waste of time I'd like to try and rebuild it. (Something I've never done.)
All opinions appreciated.
R&R

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
How do the cylinder walls look. Are they scratched up and scored. Can the crank be cleaned up or is it damaged. How do the bearing surfaces look in the block as well as the side cover.

If those check out then it may be worth playing with just for fun. From a dealer standpoint it is a $400 dollar engine and not worth our time.

riseandrun

Threads
I think I got my answer... After you take everything apart and look at it. The cylinder wall has a deep cut in it. The surface of the crank shaft that the connecting rod wraps around looks like it was sanded down with 60 grit sand paper.
Thanks for answering so quick Ilengine. I don't think you,re that far from me in Bolingbrook.
KW

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually I am down by Effingham. Don't confuse Beecher with Beecher City.