What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?
yes it can they put light flywheels Then the blades acts as a flywheel.

Sorry, don't understand. Please state your post a different way. Are you explaining how these two problems are related?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?
Otherwords they can use either a heavy or light weight flywheel. When a light weight flywheel is use then the blade becomes part of the flywheel needed weight. Engines with light weight are a bear to start without the blade being attached.

tadawson

Threads
Looks simply like the bolt fell out, and since (as others note), the blade assembly acts as a flywheel, it may be a cause of the no-start, or a symptom. In any case, it looks like you should be able to reattach it by replacing the one bolt, so it would seem that that would be a cheap and easy test.

If you decide to replace, and since you seem to keep your equipment a long time, don't forget to consider the finite life of batteries on electrics, and due to thier proprietary nature, the relatively short period of time durimg which replacement batts are available.

MowerMark

Threads
Looks simply like the bolt fell out, and since (as others note), the blade assembly acts as a flywheel, it may be a cause of the no-start, or a symptom. In any case, it looks like you should be able to reattach it by replacing the one bolt, so it would seem that that would be a cheap and easy test.

If you decide to replace, and since you seem to keep your equipment a long time, don't forget to consider the finite life of batteries on electrics, and due to thier proprietary nature, the relatively short period of time durimg which replacement batts are available.
I'm not skilled enough to do this. Will find someone.

In the meantime, will set up an EGO battery-operated unit, since it will have an eight year parts and labor warranty.

MowerMark

Threads

A piece of the bolt is in the receiving canal. How to remove it and from where to get a replacement bolt?

MowerMark

Threads
Wow! The EGO took four minutes to set up out of the 90 lb. box, is much quieter than the Honda, can easily be pushed without the self-propel turned on, cuts well, and after doing the lawns, there sas still 50% battery charge on the single battery. Two batteries were supplied. So far, very nice.

Pauljp

Threads
Sorry, don't understand. Please state your post a different way. Are you explaining how these two problems are related?
When the spark plug on a single cylinder motor fires and causes the motor to spin, they used to rely on a heavy flywheel (the fan shaped disk on top of the motor) to continue the momentum and keep the motor turning until the next spark fires. Since then they are now using lighter materials to make the flywheel that can no longer supply momentum, so it relies on the weight of the blades to do it. This motor should never be run without the blades attached. Your pictures seem to show that your center bolt broke holding the blades onto the shaft. All you need to do is remove the broken part and get a new bolt to install the blades back on. Then all should work.

MowerMark

Threads
Thank you so much, Paulip. Fantastic explanation... clear and concise. Purchased a 10 piece screw extractor set but no instructions were included, and I have never done this before.

Attachments

• 20240411_202227.jpeg
    20240411_202227.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MowerNick

Threads
Is it under warranty? Honda has had a big recall on those because of camshaft failure. A honda dealer would be able to take care of it.