Whats the best sign that you need new blades as opposed to just sharpening them?

sgzeroone

Threads
  • / Whats the best sign that you need new blades as opposed to just sharpening them?
Whats the best sign that you need new blades as opposed to just sharpening them? Just wondered cause I have sharpened the blades on my mower a few times and wondering how many times I can really sharpen them before I need to replace them.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
  • / Whats the best sign that you need new blades as opposed to just sharpening them?
There is no real way to tell how many times you can sharpen them but its all based on the amount of grass u cut an the condition. If there are some big notches took out of it then it maybe time to replace most places recommend replacing then once a year. But commerically I would say change maybe twic a year but it all depends on the blade what kind and all kinds of other factors

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Whats the best sign that you need new blades as opposed to just sharpening them? Just wondered cause I have sharpened the blades on my mower a few times and wondering how many times I can really sharpen them before I need to replace them.

Residential users should be looking to replace or sharpen their blades at least twice a season is the rule thumb. Commercial users may have to replace their mower blades every week or month, depending on use. Remember, sharp blades leave a clean cut, dull blades rip and shred the grass, turning the tips brown and leaving it vulnerable to disease.

possum

Threads
My fatherinlaw had a Toro recycler he bought new in 1989. He sharpened the blade twice a season every season. He never replaced it until I bought a new one for it in 2009. there was very little left of the blade. It still cut. The new one cut much better. The old one looked plain dangerous to me.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

We replace the, when the wing starts to get thin on the ends. How many times we can sharpen them depends on how bad they get before we take them off. Many days we change them every day. We keep 4 to 5 sets of blades per mower so that we have time to get them sharpened.