What's the Best OHV Engine for Push Mower?

To be honest, I think that you will find purchasing a new engine will cost you around the same as purchasing a whole new lawnmower. If you are able to find an engine second hand or through a cheap seller, however, I'd say go for it if you really like the old mowers you're using.

Agree with the comment about Honda engines; they are incredibly fuel efficient and don't actually have too many emissions. One of these mowers would definitely be much healthier for you (and the environment!) to be around.
 
To be honest, I think that you will find purchasing a new engine will cost you around the same as purchasing a whole new lawnmower. If you are able to find an engine second hand or through a cheap seller, however, I'd say go for it if you really like the old mowers you're using.

Agree with the comment about Honda engines; they are incredibly fuel efficient and don't actually have too many emissions. One of these mowers would definitely be much healthier for you (and the environment!) to be around.

Okay thanks. I actually just picked up a nice used Honda mower today! http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/honda-forum/18444-just-bought-honda-hrr2163tda.html#post119113
 
An old thread... but such a great question and so I'll chime in. The Honda GCV engines might be best OHV mower engines per your requirements, as I have discovered. It's not only OHV but also OHC - a design that eliminates much of the valve train slop making for a cleaner, more efficient engine. I have a GCV190 mounted on my Snapper 21500PC with quadra cut blades, love it. There was some question regarding the durability of the cam belt, but my 10 year old GCV outlived it's original HRX deck and gearbox before powering my Snapper, still runs great.
 
Okay, thanks for the input. I actually did put a GCV160 on a deck I had sitting around, and I unfortunately only got a couple of passes done with it before the blade flew of! I think I was using the wrong type of bolt, and it just couldnt handle the torque. So right now I have an OHV 5.5hp (of unknown brand) and although it runs good, I'm not too happy with the cut. I really would like to get that Honda back on their, but I think I'll have to figure out the cut issues first. So are you using the Honda blade then?
 
Back
Top