What's in my sump?

DRWDRW

Threads
Does anyone recognise what this little chunk of steel might be (or might have been)?

I found it in the sump of my Briggs 11hp 21000 when I dismantled it to replace a broken governor. It's too heavy to be from the oil slinger, but I'm scratching my head to work out where it originated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    1,010 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 37

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the flyweight for the compression release mechanism on the camshaft. So you are will be needing a new camshaft. Just make sure you find all the parts to the compression release. You are also missing the pivot pin and the return spring.

DRWDRW

Threads
That is the flyweight for the compression release mechanism on the camshaft. So you are will be needing a new camshaft. Just make sure you find all the parts to the compression release. You are also missing the pivot pin and the return spring.
Thank you very much for that info.

I think it's time for a whole replacement engine. :(

DRWDRW

Threads
Will the engine run happily without the release mechanism?

For several years, I've sometimes had trouble starting it - almost like there was too much compression. In fact, I posted on here about it because it gave symptoms of a flat battery despite being connected to a fresh battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And you have small pieces of metal bouncing around inside the engine waiting to get caught between the cam gears the very time you need the mower the most .

DRWDRW

Threads
And you have small pieces of metal bouncing around inside the engine waiting to get caught between the cam gears the very time you need the mower the most .
Forgive me if I sound dumb, but where would the extra pieces be coming from? My engine is in pieces on the bench... Will lack of the release mechanism cause other bits to fall apart?

I'm not averse to fitting a new cam - but I'm in the UK, and it means waiting a few weeks to get one on order, by which time my lawns will be forests...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hire a lawn crew till the engine is repaired proper. Or get a back up mower.

DRWDRW

Threads
Thanks for all the advice.

The engine's back in the mower, running better than it has in many years. I'll order a cam but I'm in no hurry to fit it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean the block and cooling fins while you are at it. This is a yearly in your manual.

Also de-carbonize the cylinder, head and valves. Check your engine manual for more info.

Neglect these and you will have engine damage later on.