What tools and books are needed to rebuild a B&S push mower engine?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / What tools and books are needed to rebuild a B&S push mower engine?
I seen those straighteners and even had plans for one. Then I was advised against them as they can cause micro fractures in the crankshaft. One fellow tech even had one crankshaft to later break off while the mower was in operation. Besides most of the engine I seen where on crappy poorly maintain mower bodies.
I actually have one. Used it once to straighten a crankshaft on my own mower. Refused to straighten any for customers due to liability. And the dealer that I bought out was the original owner and was told by him to never mention that you straightened a crankshaft for a customer. Make up some other service that was performed on the customer invoice so if anything went wrong they couldn't hold you liable.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The US banned swing back blades because of the potential for them to come off and injure people but allow crankshaft straiteners
It is indeed a very funny world we live in .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The US banned swing back blades because of the potential for them to come off and injure people but allow crankshaft straiteners
It is indeed a very funny world we live in .
evidently the anti-swing back blade lobby had more money.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
evidently the anti-swing back blade lobby had more money.
More likely the economics won out. Swing back would save a lot engines but of course that means less parts sold over time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More likely the economics won out. Swing back would save a lot engines but of course that means less parts sold over time.
And probably around 500,000 tons of steel a year.
I send about a ton of old blades to a friends foundry a year .
He thinks I am God because he gets a ton of high quality scrap of known composition for free & that is a big win
I get him to occasionally cast motorcycle parts for me so it is a win win
The swing backs are a different alloy so go into a different drum.
Despite doing 3 times as many swing backs as bars, the swing back drum has only been filled once .

The planet is dieing because we are dong things like making too much steel much of which is not being reused or recycled

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one of those crankshaft straightners. Got it a very long time when an old guy closed his shop. Haven't used it in probably 20 years. I really doubt if i would use it on a customer engine now. I also have the tools to install valve guides. Haven't used them in probably 20 years also. They are in the drawer with the battery hydrometer i don't use any more. I have a 18.5 Briggs all apart on the bench right now getting the cam replaced. Would a push mower engine be worth doing the same? I doubt it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boy I hate those Briggs money maker 793880 camshafts. I just returned from a customer that I install a new just back in Summer 2021 and its ACR is already broken again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Boy I hate those Briggs money maker 793880 camshafts. I just returned from a customer that I install a new just back in Summer 2021 and its ACR is already broken again.
Was that one of the Aftermarket cams or OEM?

MowManWV

Threads
I have one of those crankshaft straightners. Got it a very long time when an old guy closed his shop. Haven't used it in probably 20 years. I really doubt if i would use it on a customer engine now. I also have the tools to install valve guides. Haven't used them in probably 20 years also. They are in the drawer with the battery hydrometer i don't use any more. I have a 18.5 Briggs all apart on the bench right now getting the cam replaced. Would a push mower engine be worth doing the same? I doubt it.

Would you consider selling that shaft straightener device? I was mowing for a guy the other day and hit a pipe! Old guy had really let his place go and it was hidden in some tall grass. I currently have that mower in the shop for them to try their shaft straightener on it but If I keep up with this business, I assume I'll have that happen every so often.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the Stens 751-032 Crankshaft Straightener but is sample of the prices.
1651321703494.png