What to use ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
I'll be doing the final mow of the year soon and will be putting the 2011 Mountfield SP414 in for winter storage.

I know to run it out of fuel, and make sure it is clean etc... But, I've heard I should remove the spark plug and spray oil into the cylinder. Should I use WD40 ?
 
I wouldn't spray WD-40 into the cylinder -- it's not really a lubricant.

If you ran the engine until there's no petrol -- :laughing: -- I spoke "British" -- :laughing: -- in the carb, you're probably OK.

Are there any cables from the handle to the mower? You could oil those. Ditto for greasing the wheel bearings.
 
I'll be doing the final mow of the year soon and will be putting the 2011 Mountfield SP414 in for winter storage.

I know to run it out of fuel, and make sure it is clean etc... But, I've heard I should remove the spark plug and spray oil into the cylinder. Should I use WD40 ?

No...USE MINERAL OIL....why do you even have to ask !!!!!!??????? :confused2:
 
No...USE MINERAL OIL....why do you even have to ask !!!!!!??????? :confused2:

I'll presume he had to ask because he wasn't sure, and it's better to ask before the fact than regret it later, perhaps?:rolleyes:

I'd use a product called "fogging oil" (honest!) per the can directions, or a tablespoon or two of your favorite lubricating oil and pull the mower through three or four times, then leave the piston at close to TDC for the "off season"with the spark plug reinstalled. If you're obsessed, you can put a plug in your muffler to keep out moisture on that side, and maybe even one in the carb.:smile:
 
Back
Top