What to use to find oil leak

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I saw on here where someone recommended something that would help trace where an oil leak was coming from. If you see this post would you be kind enough to share the information with me. I have a Kohler CV 22 65594 that is leaking somewhere on the side opposite the starter right at the top of the crank case where the baffle bolts to the crank case. It only leaks when the engine is hot. So I'm thinking it is a porosity in the cc that opens up when hot. By the time I can get to it to find where it is coming from I can't tell where it is leaking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lawn Addict
Threads
IIRC, I think baby powder was mentioned.. On clean engine, sprinkle some around the suspected area, & re-test.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
talcum powder, cement dust , spry foot powder, die penetrant developer
All of them will stick to the sides of the engine then adsorb the oil out of the leak and go dark so you can see he leak.
From engineering supplies and some real auto parts stores you can get UV die to drop into your oil that glows when looked at under UV light
You can even get a kit
You buy a flouresent die penetrant kit used for crack detection pretty cheap that has everything you need .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fluorescein oil leak dye from the local FLAPS and a black light.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just make you use the correct wavelength UV light. Different UV dyes uses different wavelengths. My local auto sold me the dye and a UV light pen. The UV lightpen was the wrong wavelength but I able to get high UV flashlight of the correct wavelength. It is strong to see well under daylight conditions other than full sunlight.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks to all who responded. I knew you guys would come through as usual. Thanks again