what to do?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only 2 cycle mower I have ever had was years ago I bought at a lawn sale and it was so underpowered I throw it away. I guess what I am seeing they have come a long ways. Another thing I am wondering after using a two cycle mower don't you smell like a oil can? I ridden two cycle mopeds, snowmobiles, and ATVs and if you are second in line this is very much the case you smell like oil. Why are all the off road bikes, snowmobiles and lawnmowers going to 4 cycle now? What in the world can be the advanages of 2 cycle over 4 cycle. other then weight per power. I have never had a underpowered 4 cycle push mower.

sss

Threads
I dont think there are any advantages to two stroke i think there
just a novelty!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The main advantage of 2 stroke is that it produces power and exhaust in half the number of revolutions - more power and RPMs for the size and weight of the engine. That is why chain saws and most string trimmers etc. are 2 stroke.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
The main advantage of 2 stroke is that it produces power and exhaust in half the number of revolutions - more power and RPMs for the size and weight of the engine. That is why chain saws and most string trimmers etc. are 2 stroke.
You took the words right outta my mouth!

As you said, they can be smaller and lighter, but still produce enough power for the job in hand.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You took the words right outta my mouth!

As you said, they can be smaller and lighter, but still produce enough power for the job in hand.

And you smell like a oil can when you are done useing a 2 cycle and I never has a power or weight problim with a 4 cycle push mower mower ???? And just what is a Mountfield SP44 2 or 4 cycle? Now 2 cycle being a novelty I can understand

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
And you smell like a oil can when you are done useing a 2 cycle and I never has a power or weight problim with a 4 cycle push mower mower ???? And just what is a Mountfield SP44 2 or 4 cycle? Now 2 cycle being a novelty I can understand
My Mountfield SP414 is a 4-Stroke.

2-Stroke engines are good for small pieces of machinery, like chainsaws and trimmers.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Mountfield SP414 is a 4-Stroke.

2-Stroke engines are good for small pieces of machinery, like chainsaws and trimmers.

Yes you are right about chainsaws and trimmers but I tought we were talking about lawn mowers. Do you have a weight/power with your Mountfield? There is a reason they don't make 2 cycle mower anymore.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Yes you are right about chainsaws and trimmers but I tought we were talking about lawn mowers. Do you have a weight/power with your Mountfield? There is a reason they don't make 2 cycle mower anymore.
Well maybe 2-Stroke engines aren't the best in Lawn Mowers, but they still work.