What to do with used cat litter?

AndyMan

Threads
My wife says that her dad used to put sewer sludge on their garden at home, along with sawdust, leaves, yard clippings, and output from the wood chipper. They never put cat waste or dog waste in there.

This is getting to be quite the interesting topic...

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems like half of my trash some weeks is cat clumps. Is there any way to naturally dispose of used cat litter without killing my yard destroying my woods? We use the clumping kind.

I know little about cat litter. At first I thought I didn't have anything to contribute here but this thread keeps commong back.... Cat litter....who knew?
I've used it to asorb oil spills but never as it's intended use. I don't see why it should'nt be disposed of on the ground rather than be hauled off with the garbage. Where does your garbage end up?
I suppose it depends on what is in the cat litter. If you were to disperse it over the ground near your shurbs or flower beds or in the "woods" I can't see were it would be a problem. If your cat were to go outside it may be more likley to purge itself there rather than in your house. The less you handle the cat waste the better in my opinion.
If it were an issue for me I would read the lable trying to determine if there are any contents that would not belong on the ground and probably just toss it in with the mulch or somewhere else suitable.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is just a thought but did anyone think about Reading the Warnings or notations on the bags, and it states Used Liter is NOT recommended for Garden use. Cat feces contain a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis.
For those who would to know more visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is just a thought but did anyone think about Reading the Warnings or notations on the bags, and it states Used Liter is NOT recommended for Garden use. Cat feces contain a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis.
For those who would to know more visit Toxoplasmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought in the beginning of this thread, "SOMETHING ABOUT THE IDEA, STINKS"....:laughing:

indypower

Threads
Since you are in N.Y. and it is winter, use it on your walk way, drive way instead of sand.

Honey

Threads
This is an interesting subject, but what would be the difference of the cats or the like going in the garden or using the litter in the garden. The parasites only live for so long so after a bit of rot it should be fine for the garden.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is an interesting subject, but what would be the difference of the cats or the like going in the garden or using the litter in the garden. The parasites only live for so long so after a bit of rot it should be fine for the garden.
I think the problem arises when the garden is used for vegetables. To some people if it doesn't have vegetables...is not a garden.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... what would be the difference of the cats or the like going in the garden or using the litter in the garden. The parasites only live for so long so after a bit of rot it should be fine for the garden.

Very good point honey... and there is not anything keeping cats out of vegetable gardens or flower gardens... or most anyplace.
I think most folks would be a bit squeamish if they knew the ingredient of most fertilizers:laughing: especially organic fertilizers... KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Ingestion of contaminated cat feces. This can occur through hand-to-mouth contact following gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box contact with children's sandpits, or touching leach, and can survive in the environment for over a year. It is, however, susceptible to high temperatures above 66 degrees Celsius (150 degrees Fahrenheit), and is thus killed by thorough cooking, and would be killed by 24 hours in a typical domestic freeze

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very good point honey... and there is not anything keeping cats out of vegetable gardens or flower gardens... or most anyplace.
I think most folks would be a bit squeamish if they knew the ingredient of most fertilizers:laughing: especially organic fertilizers... KennyV

Yea maybe most folks would be a bit squeamish if they knew the ingredients of most fertilizers especially organic fertilizers, but I can tell you they use nothing in fertilizers or organic fertilizers that comes from any carnivorous animal.

Last edited: