What to do when our obsolete Gemini drives give up the ghost?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / What to do when our obsolete Gemini drives give up the ghost?
I was told by the local GH dealer that the Gemini final drives are no longer being made and new ones in the box are about gone from GH inventory. I have a 1997 721D with these older units. Any idea if different drive motors can be transplanted ...or are we older, Gemini-powered GH owners out of luck when our drives take a dive? Can anyone recommend decent service shops to rebuild these units? I was told GH bought out the manufacturer and there are no plans to keep parts available for rebuilding. Can anyone here confirm if this is this true? If this is true, once my drives poop out I'll essentially have a 700lb paperweight.

If the mower is kaput once the Gemini drives conk out then I suppose my only option is to get a new(er) mower with whatever final drive/wheel motors GH has used to supersede the Gemini ones. Please help!

bobbysr

Threads
Your paper weight would be closer to 1300lbs. I've seen the G1 transmissions on ebay . They are pricey. Usually $800 - $1000. A G2 transmission could probably fit your mower, but the cost wouldn't justify the results.

Forcus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new here.

I looked in to this as I was very spooked when my dealer told me the same as you indicate above.

It looks like to me all individual parts are available and the manuals are available to rebuild - so any shop capable of rebuilding hydro's can do this. May be even possible to DIY.

It also looks like Eaton is the original design owner / manufacturer and they still own the design so they might be a backup if GH becomes totally unhelpful.

So with that I am somewhat at ease unless one of the above is wrong or changes.