What should i fill my new shop with?

gigerdavid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I've been in the business for about 10 years now. I've always just operated out of my
House, but this year I'm in a New shop with about 4 employees. Trying to get a list together of things that will be useful to have in the shop and on my truck. We mostly just mow, but recently got into full landscapes and tree work. Here's my list so far, if you don't see something on their you think I should get let me know, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.
Key hooks
Shelving ☝️
Dry erase board☝️
Files☝️
Filling cabinet ☝️
Table ☝️
Chairs ☝️
Hooks for straps
Baskets for sweat rags
Extension cord
Shop vac
Rolling tool box
Oil filters/oil (mowers)
5 sets of blades each mower
Air hose
Impact wrench
Led trailer lights
Trailer jack
Tire plug kit
Air tank
Spare trailer rim and tire
New trailer tires
Hanker chiffs
Zip ties
Fire extinguisher
3m safety glasses(nuway)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Duct tape, zip ties, bailing wire :p

Parkmower

Threads
Speedy dri or kitty litter for spills

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have the money I would add a floor jack, two jack stands, 30 gallon plastic barrel for waste fluids, grease gun, good size vice and a good bright movable work light.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the shop

If you are going to start & finish at the shop washing machine & dryer so they can toss their grubby work cloths into the wash every arvo before they go home & towels if they shower befor leaving.
Going home clean & fresh negates working hard & dirty all day.
Good sized lockers and linen / broom cupboards are a lot cheaper and roomy than steel lockers.
If the boys feel like you are looking after them most will look after you.
A cyclic defrost all fridge fridge ( No freezer ), some comfy chairs, not a lounge, for your customers to sit in and a good coffee machine.
A parts washer and lots of nitrile gloves in sizes to fit your workers hands and an ear plug dispenser stratigically placed in many locations.( OH & S )
If you are providing all of the workshop tools go for air tools as they don't seem to get lost as much as the snap on battery drivers do.
Lots of pegboard ( slat wall is actually better ) to make a shadow board so you can look at it to ensure all tools are back where they should be.
First aid kit and lots of eye wash bottles all over the place. ( OH & S)
Chain grinder if you do a lot of chainsawing.
DO NOT BUY BULK CHAIN because if one of your chains injures an employee you will get taken to the cleaners
Bar blade grinders can be really usefull so you can leave every day with good sharp blades.
If they are changing blades then a blade lock is a must. ( OH & S ).
A cheap bolt down floor crane to lift heavy gear onto work benches which should be on wheels ( no back injuries ) or heavy tools like compressors generators & pumps onto the truck

On the truck.

Eye wash bottles, bulk gloves in sizes to fit workers, First aid kit, sterile ear & plugs dust masks
A fast compressor and several very long 2' 3' & 4' blower guns to blow down the machines on site before they are on the truck. Inflate tyres & power air tools as again on the end on an airline they don't get lost in the long grass.
You don't want to clean the machines in the shop or it will be always full of dust & a blow down will oft reveal things like damaged belts, damaged blades , deflating tyres & missing bolts before they become major down time as it will now be downime x 4
a big drum of clean drinking water and another to wash with.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It all depends on what you are using this shop for. Sales, repairs, storage, a meeting place, office, This will be something you will only know after you start using it and how big your business is.

gigerdavid

Forum Newbie
Threads
It all depends on what you are using this shop for. Sales, repairs, storage, a meeting place, office, This will be something you will only know after you start using it and how big your business is.

My office will stay at home. The shop will be used for a meeting place, equipment storage, light maintenance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you may not be the only one in there. That means checking with your insurance agent about replacement coverage of equipment, inventory and tools. Don't forget about liability insurance, and think about forming an LLC. you need to protect your family.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
a meeting place, equipment storage, light maintenance.[/QUOTE]

Meeting place, Table and chairs, coffee pot, A board to assign jobs, Now when I was still working we just shared in buying the morning donuts, but that will be up to you. Equipment storage is just open space with some shelves and hangers for the smaller things. you might want to fuel up outdoors. Light maintenance. some cases of oil, grease, aerosol cans of what is needed, jacks, rags , creeper, cheap tire machine, tool chest with necessary tools, grinder, air compressor, low and high pressure tire gages, vice, broom and dust pan, all depends what you want to call light maintenance, just to get the equipment ready for the days job? Some spare mower blades, filters, spark plugs, bolt and nut assortment , electrical wire and connectors.