What oil for my Kawasaki FH531V engine?

hitmanharleyk

Threads
Changed my oil Friday and used 5w30 Amsoil. After the fact I find a service manual online and I see that they recommend SAE40, SAE30, SAE10W-30/SAE10W-40 or SAE5W-20, will what I used be ok since it was $20 plus???

I seem to be good at the after the fact stuff these days.

possum

Threads
I would think it would depend on if the engine is under warranty or not. You can do as you please if warranty is not a consideration. Quite a few folks run 5/30 synthetics in generators and some on here run 5/40 synthetic in lawn tractors. Im old fashioned, but if it runs ok and you keep an eye on the oil level, it is up to you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When overhead valve Kaws come into our shop for service, we use 10W-30. 5W-30 should be ok if unless you have to use it in extreme heat. 5W-30 is more of a cold weather oil. If you have to use it in high heat, I would change it. Sorry for the bad news.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
Here in south Georgia it is pretty dang hot, 95 to 100 degrees right now.

I'll drain it and put something else in it.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
I would think it would depend on if the engine is under warranty or not. You can do as you please if warranty is not a consideration. Quite a few folks run 5/30 synthetics in generators and some on here run 5/40 synthetic in lawn tractors. Im old fashioned, but if it runs ok and you keep an eye on the oil level, it is up to you.

Motor is 6 years old with 358 hours on it, out of warranty.

I'm gonna find some SAE30 tomorrow and go ahead and swap it, I hate I'm wasting the Amsoil.

possum

Threads
Yeah, but think how much better you will feel when putting the thunder to it. If I had 358 hours on it I would use what ever has been in it the last 358 hours. Try to find some shade, I got overheated last week and I still feel poorly.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
If I had 358 hours on it I would use what ever has been in it the last 358 hours.

Problem is I inherited the mower from my deceased father and I've only put about 40 hours on the mower, I have no way of knowing what he used.

I picked up 2 bottles of B&S SAE30 this morning, I'll run this for the next year and then buy the Amsoil product I need.

AMSOIL - Formula 4-Stroke® 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil

According to this from the B&S page, the 5w30 synthetic would be best for all temps.

Oil Recommendation

•SAE 30 40° F and higher (5° C and higher) is good for all purpose use above 40° F, use below 40° F will cause hard starting.

•10W-30 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.

•Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120° F (-30 to 40° C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.

•5W-30 40° F and below (5° C and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions

Last edited:

hitmanharleyk

Threads
Spoke with a local Lawnmower shop this afternoon and they said the Amsoil 5w30 would be fine and that Amsoil was a great product. They said run the 5w30 this cycle and then go with a SAE30 or 10w30 next go round.

I'm taking the B&S SAE30 back in the morning and keeping the Amsoil in my mower.