WHAT MOWER IS THIS????

That video sure was a trip down memory lane!

I also remember my Dad having a similar type mower. From what I remember though, is that you turned the crank, and it would turn the mower over as soon as you folded it over.

Bruce

That's a little closer to what I recall. There was a button under, or maybe through a hole in, the flip-handle. Not sure.
 
That's a little closer to what I recall. There was a button under, or maybe through a hole in, the flip-handle. Not sure.

This discussion is jogging my memory! I seem to remember Tecumseh having two different styles of wind ups. One had a non folding wind up handle with a release lever under the starter spring and the other had a folding handle with a button in the center of the starter that released the spring tension when the handle was folded back. All the Briggs I remember had the knob on the side of the blower housing. Some mowers had a cable attached to the release lever that ran up the handle with a release control mounted near the throttle control. Those wind up starter springs were kinda pricey way back then and in some cases it was cheaper to convert to recoil start than replace the wind up spring.
 
That's a little closer to what I recall. There was a button under, or maybe through a hole in, the flip-handle. Not sure.

This is really getting nostalgic. Up until this thread was started, I had completely forgotten about my Dad's similar mower. Now, I swear I can hear the ratcheting sound that it made, in my head..:smile: thanks everyone for the memories.
Bruce
 
Uncle had a Tecumseh in the 60s with a wind up starter. I thought it was very cool. Just ratchet it up with a folding handle, tightening a spring, I assume, then flick the little release handle and it served the same purpose as a pull rope. The problem was that if it didn't start, it took a lot more time than pulling a rope. Which is when I picked up a lot of new cuss words from my uncle. Interesting concept, but I guess it didn't work too well.
 
Back
Top