Export thread

What is your favorite landscaping job?

Bomba

Bomba

What part of landscaping/lawncare do you most enjoy?

Ric

Ric

I enjoy the Grandstand and mowing, I really like using the chainsaw and pole saw but hate picking up the mess afterwards.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

***I moved your thread to the Lawn Care & Landscaping Forum so people can better find the info they need. :smile:

exotion

exotion

I like losing my self get started on a project prune or mow or whatever and working and not realizing 8 hours has passed by. I also like projects that haven't been maintained in a few years and making it look amazing

Bomba

Bomba

Yes, you can see the work you have done and it gets noticed. It's rewarding in that way. I love getting lost in a project too. When u get in the zone and you e got three different things going at once v

GentlemanFahmah

GentlemanFahmah

Herding all the Japanese beetle grubs each spring from my yard to my neighbor's property.

Bomba

Bomba

Herding all the Japanese beetle grubs each spring from my yard to my neighbor's property.

Haha! I shouldn't laugh but it is kinda funny.

Bomba

Bomba

I enjoy the Grandstand and mowing, I really like using the chainsaw and pole saw but hate picking up the mess afterwards.

What model of Stihl chainsaw is that in the pic?

djdicetn

djdicetn

GentlemanFahmah,
I'm with you on that.......this year, I'll be coaxing the moles out of my yard via traps, diazonon, poison bait grubs, etc. to find another yard to hang out in and destroy:0)
P.S.
As for the question asked in this thread......I'm just a homeowner, not a professional but the ONLY landscaping job I "enjoy" is riding my new Gravely around the yard(with the blades engaged:0)!!!! All of the rest of it(mulching, trimming shrubs, etc.) is too much like WORK:0)

wjjones

wjjones

I like losing my self get started on a project prune or mow or whatever and working and not realizing 8 hours has passed by. I also like projects that haven't been maintained in a few years and making it look amazing

Yep.:thumbsup: Especially the ones that are in need of being maintained that have gotten way out of hand.

Bomba

Bomba

GentlemanFahmah,
I'm with you on that.......this year, I'll be coaxing the moles out of my yard via traps, diazonon, poison bait grubs, etc. to find another yard to hang out in and destroy:0)
P.S.
As for the question asked in this thread......I'm just a homeowner, not a professional but the ONLY landscaping job I "enjoy" is riding my new Gravely around the yard(with the blades engaged:0)!!!! All of the rest of it(mulching, trimming shrubs, etc.) is too much like WORK:0)

Trimming shrubs I really dislike! I'm gonna love trimming grass etc after I pick up my new trimmer next week!!

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yep.:thumbsup: Especially the ones that are in need of being maintained that have gotten way out of hand.

wjjones,

You guys are making me want to "go Pro" when I retire:0)
Of course, "real" Professional Landscapers do it ALL(all of the other things involved that are being mentioned, other than just cutting the grass). I wouldn't be a good fit for that "post retirement career". I don't even do my own yard's weed-eating(I make my wife do that while I ride around the yard on my Gravely drinking ice-cold Michelob Ultra's:0)
I had a friend(co-worker in IT) who had a Lawn Care business on the side and his legs from the knee down looked rough(from weed-eating and similar tasks while wearing shorts in the hottest part of the summer). Everyone who thinks "Lawn Care/Landscaping" is a "cushy" job obviously has never done it for a living. Seriously, my problem(physically) with doing Professional Landscaping is the fact that I am a Polio survivor and I don't have the leg strength to do that kind of heavy-duty manual labor(like all the walking you are required to do for weed-eating, etc.). That's why my wonderful wife of 32 years does the "grunt work" for our landscaping chores. Of course, I could always hire her for my "retirement Lawn Care business"......right?:0)

Ric

Ric

What model of Stihl chainsaw is that in the pic?
If your talking about the avatar, the Stihl Pole Saw is the HT 75 the other is the Stihl MS 181 it's a 16"

Bomba

Bomba

If your talking about the avatar, the Stihl Pole Saw is the HT 75 the other is the Stihl MS 181 it's a 16"

MS 182 ok. I have a Stihl saw also. And a blower. I'm getting a Stihl trimmer next week I can't wait. That Stihl stuff is addicting!! Using a craftsman trimmer right now and after an hour using that thing my hands are trembling and I have needles and pins in my forearms.

Bomba

Bomba

wjjones,

You guys are making me want to "go Pro" when I retire:0)
Of course, "real" Professional Landscapers do it ALL(all of the other things involved that are being mentioned, other than just cutting the grass). I wouldn't be a good fit for that "post retirement career". I don't even do my own yard's weed-eating(I make my wife do that while I ride around the yard on my Gravely drinking ice-cold Michelob Ultra's:0)
I had a friend(co-worker in IT) who had a Lawn Care business on the side and his legs from the knee down looked rough(from weed-eating and similar tasks while wearing shorts in the hottest part of the summer). Everyone who thinks "Lawn Care/Landscaping" is a "cushy" job obviously has never done it for a living. Seriously, my problem(physically) with doing Professional Landscaping is the fact that I am a Polio survivor and I don't have the leg strength to do that kind of heavy-duty manual labor(like all the walking you are required to do for weed-eating, etc.). That's why my wonderful wife of 32 years does the "grunt work" for our landscaping chores. Of course, I could always hire her for my "retirement Lawn Care business"......right?:0)

I loved reading that, DJ. haha!!!

Parkmower

Parkmower

I love being on a mower. My favorite is the 72" husq zt. I mow for hours at a time, several acre areas and I slice and dice them in a different direction every mow and the big comfy ztakes it a blast!!! I'm an operator, I love being on something whether it a mower, tractor, loader or backhoe.

Bomba

Bomba

I love being on a mower. My favorite is the 72" husq zt. I mow for hours at a time, several acre areas and I slice and dice them in a different direction every mow and the big comfy ztakes it a blast!!! I'm an operator, I love being on something whether it a mower, tractor, loader or backhoe.

I'm with you on that one. I love being on my ZT when all of the weed eating and border work is done.

X-man

X-man

I love cutting the grass most. I don't know why but I think the scent of freshly mowed grass is relaxing.

And a cold one after! :drink:

Bomba

Bomba

I love cutting the grass most. I don't know why but I think the scent of freshly mowed grass is relaxing.

And a cold one after! :drink:

The cold one after it is almost as good as cutting the grass! :)

djdicetn

djdicetn

The cold one after it is almost as good as cutting the grass! :)

Yeah, the only other downside to a Zero Turn is that it is more difficult(but not impossible) to sip on a cold one "while mowing". Mine does have a cup-holder built in to the left gas tank which tells me that drinking while mowing is "encouraged" by the manufacturer. But the lap bar design tends to occupy both hands to control the ZTR:0(
I'm practicing putting one hand(the right one) in the middle of the lap bars when on a long straight run and grabbing a drink of my nice cold Michelob Ultra with the left hand, but it sure was easier with a steering wheel on the old lawn tractor. I figure I'll have that lap bar technique perfected by the end of this mowing season:0)

Bomba

Bomba

Yeah, the only other downside to a Zero Turn is that it is more difficult(but not impossible) to sip on a cold one "while mowing". Mine does have a cup-holder built in to the left gas tank which tells me that drinking while mowing is "encouraged" by the manufacturer. But the lap bar design tends to occupy both hands to control the ZTR:0(
I'm practicing putting one hand(the right one) in the middle of the lap bars when on a long straight run and grabbing a drink of my nice cold Michelob Ultra with the left hand, but it sure was easier with a steering wheel on the old lawn tractor. I figure I'll have that lap bar technique perfected by the end of this mowing season:0)

I live in north Georgia and in July when I've been on my ZTR for a few hours the only thing that stops me in that heat is a cold one. There are no police officers and no checkpoints. Just me and my floating deck on my property.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I live in north Georgia and in July when I've been on my ZTR for a few hours the only thing that stops me in that heat is a cold one. There are no police officers and no checkpoints. Just me and my floating deck on my property.

Bomba,
As far as I know there "is" a DUI(Driving Under the Influence) law here in Tennessee, but no MUI(Mowing Under the Influence) law on the books as of yet:0)

X-man

X-man

Bomba,
As far as I know there "is" a DUI(Driving Under the Influence) law here in Tennessee, but no MUI(Mowing Under the Influence) law on the books as of yet:0)

Yeah, you can get arrested for drinking while driving a lawn mower.

I'm guilty of that.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yeah, you can get arrested for drinking while driving a lawn mower.

I'm guilty of that.

LOL.....I have this picture in my mind of X-man weaving around his yard on his mower with a police cruiser(lights & sirens blaring) chasing him:0)

X-man

X-man

LOL.....I have this picture in my mind of X-man weaving around his yard on his mower with a police cruiser(lights & sirens blaring) chasing him:0)

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

:drink:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It would be a lot easier if you had a Walker mower or the Exmark Navigator where you only need one hand to control the lap bars! :tongue:
walker mower.jpg walker mower 2.jpg

X-man

X-man

Just be like me (and Hank Hill).

Drive a lawn tractor like mine while drinking beer and cooking with propane gas.

Just make sure you're not driving in the road. My friends have caught me veering down the road before :laughing:

Bomba

Bomba

Bomba,

Oh ok. I'd better keep it covered up with a coozie (spell check). I have one you put the beer can into that makes it look like a coke can.

lawnguy1

lawnguy1

Haha can't tell you how many clients I have who offer me a beer every time I mow their yard

Bomba

Bomba

Haha can't tell you how many clients I have who offer me a beer every time I mow their yard

Do u ever accept?

lawnguy1

lawnguy1

Na the only thing I can drink when I'm cutting is water. I know a lot of guys who do though

cobra2k1

cobra2k1

What I really like is taking a blank, bare back yard and creating a cool design that includes alot of plantings etc. I did a 20x20 custom patio for one of my Moms co-workers using stone pavers. Surrounding it with some cool white marble in a oval design with beds extending out from that on both sides. Man that was a awesome project...had to get it "just right"..alot of hours but after all the plants were in (annuals and perennials) bushes, it was AWESOME. I really dig the feeling of looking at a project, taking someones vision and making it a reality..look at it and see what I accomplished..also when the client pays the bill helps too with the euphoria :cool:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

What I really like is taking a blank, bare back yard and creating a cool design that includes alot of plantings etc. I did a 20x20 custom patio for one of my Moms co-workers using stone pavers. Surrounding it with some cool white marble in a oval design with beds extending out from that on both sides. Man that was a awesome project...had to get it "just right"..alot of hours but after all the plants were in (annuals and perennials) bushes, it was AWESOME. I really dig the feeling of looking at a project, taking someones vision and making it a reality..look at it and see what I accomplished..also when the client pays the bill helps too with the euphoria :cool:

We would love to see pictures of any projects you have done in the past, if you have any. It seems like you are going to be a valuable member of the forum since you have a lot of knowledge about landscaping AND equipment! :thumbsup:
:welcome:

cobra2k1

cobra2k1

We would love to see pictures of any projects you have done in the past, if you have any. It seems like you are going to be a valuable member of the forum since you have a lot of knowledge about landscaping AND equipment! :thumbsup:
:welcome:

I think I can arrange that :thumbsup: Thanks for the welcome! :cool: