What is this electrical thing and where could I get a new one?

bryce4298

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What is this electrical thing and where could I get a new one?
I have a 2009 cub cadet rzt 50vt with a Briggs intek vtwin. Had an issue with turning the engine off, it seemed like only one cylinder was grounding out. I have figured out where the ground wire comes from the mower as a single wire, it splits with these two electrical pieces and then each wire runs to each coil. I have determined one of these are bad, so does anyone know are these some kind of diodes that I could just buy and resolder or maybe where I could get a whole new wire?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If we had the model number of the engine it would help our search.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The diode will have their PN on them usually. They should be 1N4000 series diodes if I remember correctly but it has been over five years since my last repair of one these harnesses, They will need a PIV of at least 200v. Briggs may have used a different series which why you need to look at the diode markings or have your local electronic supplier to look at them. In my area all of the local electronic parts stores are gone and I must buy my parts from a distributor in Texas.

Now replacing is not as simple as just soldering in a new one. Due to the heat these connections are exposed to the connection must have ferrules crimped at the connection points and new heat shrink tubing installed. Electrical tape usually will not hold for the same reason as heat melts the glue.

A complete harness is only around $30 retail. Which is best way for a layman to do the job but in a shop setting when you have someone that knows what they doing then replacing the diodes is possible and I do recommend replacing both diodes. Now there are about eight different harnesses with date code being required as Briggs change the harness in April 2012 and knowing which side the voltage regulator is on is also needed for the non EFM engines.

Also it is noted that you must correctly orientate both diodes. This where I disagree with the service manual as they appeared to have drawn them backwards. I have help a few techs that have done this and we had to reverse the diodes even in new harnesses as simply didn't work when installed as the service manual indicates.