What engine?

I prefer the Kohler but it really doesn't matter which one you choose. None of them come with the guarantee that you won't have issues. Lol

Just keep an eye on the oil level even with a new engine.
 
Again myself and Rivets disagree. He runs down the Kohler Courage continually as having all kinds of problems and I find that puzzling as I said before. I've run the Courage single and V- Twins for years and never had an engine problem with either. It's my opinion Kohler and the Kohler Courage is one of the best engines you can buy.

I got to say till this last repair job I got I would have picked the Kholer Courage. Now after working on the one I have now it is the last engine I would buy now but the Kohler command is a differant story. As I see it is a very cheap made engine without any main crank bearings and very poor castings. I hope you the best of luck with your Kholer Courage engines because they are just a throw away engine as I see it.
 
This is my first post. Am I an expert in engines? No I am not. All I want to say is that I use to have a small mowing company and have had 3 walk behind and 4 Zero turns. All of them had Kawasaki engines on them and I never had one problem with an engine. They all ran great and were very powerful. All brands do have failures, they are mechanical and parts break down. Like everyone has said you must decide for yourself and live with what you choose. Good luck
 
This is my first post. Am I an expert in engines? No I am not. All I want to say is that I use to have a small mowing company and have had 3 walk behind and 4 Zero turns. All of them had Kawasaki engines on them and I never had one problem with an engine. They all ran great and were very powerful. All brands do have failures, they are mechanical and parts break down. Like everyone has said you must decide for yourself and live with what you choose. Good luck

You are very lucky that you have never had any engine failures. I am in the repair business and do agree all brand do have failures to a point. But when I see the poor engineering in this Kholer courage I am going to say so. Kholer has made a name for its self as quality but now to make a engine like this courage I think they will only kill themselves.
 
My sample size is 1 (one), a BS 24 HP in a 48" Craftsman. This is not a basis for a reliable projection (perhaps), but I will never buy Briggs again. It may have been Craftsman at fault for presenting the engine in an outfit with 3 bag pickup (which is really great but...). I ran with great TLC but the engine quit twice and required dismantling. These disasters IMO were due to overheating head assemblies which came apart. Both times the baskets were being used, were full, on a slight grade in 80 F ambient temp. I outfitted the tractor with oil temp gauge and saw 300 F many times with the bagger system in place. That temp was not reached otherwise, although 270F was common. I can hold 240F now and no more problems. These ACooled engines are bombs and should all have temp gauges.
 
I have a Bad Boy with the 27 hp Kohler Courage Pro. The engine has less than 100 hrs on it and the only problem that I have had is, if you put it on a slope with the shoot side up, it will blow smoke like a mosquito fogger. I'm not sure why this is the case but I had a garden tractor with a Briggs 20 hp twin on it and I never had that problem. You know the slope is not excessive if I put a Z mower on it so it is something in the motor. The flip side to that is, this thing will mow about anything. Tall wet grass doesn't even slow it down and that is pushing a 60" deck. I to read all the negative information (after I had bought the mower) and wished I had paid a little more for the Kawasaki. Once again, I'm afraid that what we see is the attempt to have big horsepower while keeping production cost down. You see it everywhere whether it's buying a firearm or anything else that is made on an assembly line. It is really amazing that any of this stuff does as well as it does. I used to run my poor old Craftsman mower four hours every time I mowed my yard but now I do it in about an hour with this new Z. With this new mower, I put less than 100 hours a year on it so if I get the life out if this as good as my old mower, it will last the rest of my days. I am nervous about this motor but it makes me feel a little better to know that Kohler has been taking care of them. They could let you get past the 2 year warranty and let you eat $1200.00. The bad part is, no matter what motor you look at, you can find problems. The consumer doesn't realize how many of these things they build a year so for all three, it would be interesting to know how many engines they have go bad in the first five years as per their total production run. Then you could really argue the value of one to another. I will be the first to post on here if something goes wrong with mine but unless we get some rain here in MIssouri, the only way I will blow the motor is if I ride it down to get the mail. Take care and good luck shopping.
 
I got to say till this last repair job I got I would have picked the Kholer Courage. Now after working on the one I have now it is the last engine I would buy now but the Kohler command is a different story. As I see it is a very cheap made engine without any main crank bearings and very poor castings. I hope you the best of luck with your Kholer Courage engines because they are just a throw away engine as I see it.

I here the same things about the Kohler Command engine being the bad motor and having all the problems. I think a lot of problems with the Courage is the people who preform the maintenance on the motors and the things they use. As far as a throw away engine, I feel the same way about Briggs & Stratton
 
I have a Bad Boy with the 27 hp Kohler Courage Pro. The engine has less than 100 hrs on it and the only problem that I have had is, if you put it on a slope with the shoot side up, it will blow smoke like a mosquito fogger. I'm not sure why this is the case but I had a garden tractor with a Briggs 20 hp twin on it and I never had that problem.

Possible cause could be is that the engines breather system is at the furthest down point and engine oil is entering and going straight through breather to atmosphere.
 
Back
Top