What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?

Retiredcarguy

Threads
  • / What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?
Read the origin on the package of Milagronite. It is basically processed human waste so it will have some smell like a waste plant.

That it is!

Together with annual ph testing and lime only as needed, Milorganite has worked great for me for over 20 years. It also keeps the deer, the four legged kind, away from the foundation plantings, as we live in a rural area. The odor is insignificant and dissipates in a few days.

I highly recommend it.

MowerMark

Threads
Read the origin on the package of Milagronite. It is basically processed human waste so it will have some smell like a waste plant.

I just purchased two bags and left them in the car overnight. My car now smells like a waste plant.

lessma

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow! Pleased to report that after multiple drill holes then watering (as usual), the both lawns are 75% better. Awesome.

How far apart did you drill the holes and what type of drill did you use?

Thanks

MowerMark

Threads
How far apart did you drill the holes and what type of drill did you use?

Thanks

I drilled about every 4 inches spaced and about two to six inches down in only the areas in which the grass was abnormal (sparse, yellowish, stunted growth, etc.). The soil was compacted/dense in each and every abnormal area. The drill bit was two feet long and there were two types of drills. One had the usual end used for wood, and the other had two rectangles at the tip. The diameter was about 5/8". I like doing the drilling because:

1. The professional aerator man seemed to cause a fungus infection

2. No lawn plugs everywhere

3. It gave an appreciation for how compact soil changes lawn health.

4. Cost less

Then Lime and Milorganiteョ was applied. In the few areas in which the lawn had died and was depressed/sunken, the area was cut out, soil removed, and was replaced with MiracleGroョ Lawn Soil mixed with Perlite. It'll take about a month for the rhizomes of the Bluegrass to fill in the bare spots. Cutting out the dead areas immediately made the lawn look better because there was no yellow areas.

Andy W

Forum Newbie
Threads
You could also put some gypsum down and that will soften the soil.

MowerMark

Threads
You could also put some gypsum down and that will soften the soil.

Please clarify. You mean add gypsum to the entire lawn, or just to the small areas of new MiracleGro lawn soil with Perlite ?

RCCola45

Threads

Them people in and around Milwaukee are full of it!!!

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Them people in and around Milwaukee are full of it!!!

Thanks and it is great for a small lawn. My wife sprinkles it on the house foundation plantings to keep the deer away.