What Dependable Riding Mower is Easiest to Work On?

LarryJohnson

Threads
I've got an old 22hp Murry with BS 2-cyl motor that I resurrected 5 yrs ago. Spent too many weekends this year working on it. I guess it's time for a new or slightly used mower. What brand/model is dependable and easy one to work on when drive belts need changing, etc.. I would only use it on my yard. I'm 62.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
This is a pretty tough question.. you could give 100 people the same exact 100 riding mowers, and you'd get at least 100 different opinions.
My Cub Cadet LTX1040 with the Kohler courage 19 hp has been good to me, only the usual maintenance that is expected. no major engine or mower repairs.
all depends on how much you want to spend too.... you can get a JD 200 series with 42" Kawasaki V-twin FR651V and hyrdostatic trans and 200 hour or 3 year warranty for around $2500

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would say the Husqvarna, motion belts are a lot easier to change than the MTD made with the aviator drive. Don't like the Husqvarna with the plastic General Trans. Hydro drives are a lot better. You will not know they have the plastic trans unless you look at it since it handles like the hydros.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try 33L877-1371- b1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not cheap but the Husqvarna articulated mowers are probably the easiest to do routine maintenance on and seem to run forever.
That is the only Husqvarna I would ever recommend buying.
The ones made in Sweeden are substantially better than the downgraded ones made in the USA.
Got lots of them in my service run when California banned them because owners kept flipping them and they got dumped down here .

However we really need to know is the size of the yard, what grass you have growing there the topography & geography of your block.
What works well in Alaska probably won't do well inTexas and what is good in Texas probably won't like conditions in Florida .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snapper RER.

Charlie8d

Threads
I agree with slomo. A rear engine Snapper rider with disc drive. Ariens made one almost exactly like it, too. I had an Ariens & it was the best mower I ever had !

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snapper RER we are not talking about dinosaurs here lawn mowers guys. LOL Do any of you guys ever work on these anymore? We have a couple of people who have them that we service yearly. I actually have a real Forest Gump mower that is over 50 years old and could make it run if I really wanted to, may do that some day.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snapper RER we are not talking about dinosaurs here lawn mowers guys. LOL Do any of you guys ever work on these anymore? We have a couple of people who have them that we service yearly. I actually have a real Forest Gump mower that is over 50 years old and could make it run if I really wanted to, may do that some day.
I don't work on mine at all. It's rather boring cause I like to throw fresh parts at it but the little guy just works.

I put new rear axle boots on it back in 2013. Cost less than 20 bucks if I recall. New rubber drive disk just to freshen her up. That was a whopping $6.50 back in 2014. Deck belt was in so-so shape when I got it (2013). Still works fine to this day. Oh and I got a bottle of 00 grade Snapper grease for like 5 bucks (Tractor Supply) to top off the rear diff and chain case.

Don't know what you would service yearly other than oil and filter. Maybe clean the foam pre air filter. Sharpen THE as in one single blade. Air up the tires. Valve adjustment checks. Minor stuff all mowers go through. Guess there is some yearly fun. Been the most trouble free rider I've ever heard about. She bags, mulches, side slings and aerates. Will suck spare change off your garage floor.

I love the fact that Snappers are overlooked. Makes good older machines cheap. Everyone thinks they need a 0-turn to cut grass now. Actually Snapper's are the worst machines out there. Tell your friends LOL. Don't buy a Snapper. Horrible.......

qmark

Threads
It is a zero turn but my Grasshopper front mount is very easy to service and most bearings are off the shelf type.