What causes trimmer idle high?

juntjoo

Threads
It's an echo pas 225. I've got a carb I soaked in acetone in there. I have three, two old and soaked in acetone and a new one which I'm holding onto til I absolutely need it. So I want to learn how these work and how to fix em when possible.

Mind you I adjusted the cable to give it more slack and made sure the little stop screw wasn't pushing it too far

So it it idles pretty high, enough to not need any throttle. Just did some trimming but eventually it dies, especially with throttle.

I'm about to YouTube "echo carb clean" see if I can get some tips on that.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have only used soap and water in USC to clean these. Never heard of using Acetone to clean these delicate carburetors. I do know using regular dip carburetor cleaner is a NO NO.

Does the throttle cable have slack in it at idle?

juntjoo

Threads
I have only used soap and water in USC to clean these. Never heard of using Acetone to clean these delicate carburetors. I do know using regular dip carburetor cleaner is a NO NO.

Does the throttle cable have slack in it at idle?
The cable itself? No. So it's working apparently right. I JUST had been working fine before I decided to clean the carb as while it was working, it was slowly degrading in performance but not throttle issues. And it currently works too, but causes it to stall.

Okay I'll keep that in mind how delicate they are. If you happen to know a resource, maybe a vid that shows how these work let me know

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny enough,
Both Walbro & Zama, the people who make the carbs have service manuals , instruction videos , and parts break downs on their web sites

juntjoo

Threads
Funny enough,
Both Walbro & Zama, the people who make the carbs have service manuals , instruction videos , and parts break downs on their web sites
Oh cool, I'll look into that...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you soaked the carbs in acetone you may have ruined the check valve. Never clean a cube carb in a solvent. There is a rubber check valve in them.

juntjoo

Threads
If you soaked the carbs in acetone you may have ruined the check valve. Never clean a cube carb in a solvent. There is a rubber check valve in them.
Where would it be this valve? And what here can be cleaned? I probably would need compressed air I imagine right? I don't have that and have always had a use for it. Gotta get it. IMG_20220701_095809040.jpgIMG_20220701_095733777.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ten or so years ago the check valves were a screw in item so they could be replaced
Now days they are pressed in and not replaceable or repairable
Usually they stick closed because throttle body cleaner softens the rubber
In your case I would guess that the acetone has dissolved it completely so it is always opes thus the main jet is always passing fuel int the engine .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1656689999677.png
1656690280578.png
High pressure compressed air is a no no too.

As said these carburetors should be only cleaned with soap and water in an Ultrasonic cleaning machine (USC). And then only lightly air blow dried. no direct air blowing especially the check valves. Now Walbro does a specialize carburetor cleaner for their carbs if don't mind paying an arm and leg for it.

As said these check valves are usually rubber but can be either plastic or fiber glass. Plus rotary barrel really should be left alone; otherwords, in place.

And again does throttle cable slack in cable attached to carburetor when at idle. It is adjustable and you had to remove it to get the carb off.

Just note this is a fully adjustable carburetor when you got the right tools.

juntjoo

Threads
View attachment 61299
View attachment 61301
High pressure compressed air is a no no too.

As said these carburetors should be only cleaned with soap and water in an Ultrasonic cleaning machine (USC). And then only lightly air blow dried. no direct air blowing especially the check valves. Now Walbro does a specialize carburetor cleaner for their carbs if don't mind paying an arm and leg for it.

As said these check valves are usually rubber but can be either plastic or fiber glass. Plus rotary barrel really should be left alone; otherwords, in place.

And again does throttle cable slack in cable attached to carburetor when at idle. It is adjustable and you had to remove it to get the carb off.

Just note this is a fully adjustable carburetor when you got the right tools.
Thanks so much!

So the check valve functions like a float bowl needle? This is what isn't closing causing auto throttle(above idle)?

You know where I can learn more in detail about these?