Comparison What brand is better???

earthworm

Threads
Buy, or try to find a Lawn Boy 10685 with the personal pace drive.
This works great - just push and go...Much better than a Honda that I tried 4-5 years ago..
What I need is a 33"; 2 to 3 hours of mowing time is a bit much, I think, but great excercise.
This from Kerrys in Mechanicsburg, PA..
The Honda from a big box ( HD) - good exchange/return program, but the Honda was simply no good.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Tell them whoever has the best customer care service in their area. They all break down! I don't care what it is if it's being used you will have problems sooner or later. Many confuse the quality of a particular make with the poor service they receive when they need it.

possum

Threads
Sprinkler Buddy is right, its all about the service with most folks. Box store stuff has its good points and bad points. A person needs to think of how they are going to get the item to and from a service place. Local dealers are nice but worse than a box store if they do not service or just plain refuse to consider a problem that might cost them a few bucks. My father tossed a good many push mowers over the years because the place he bought them did no repair. He bought a John Deer from a dealer and got great service and stayed with them until he died. My mother to this day still runs John Deer lawn mowers for the yard even though she hires the operator. This is not to say John Deer is any better, just an example. Im fairly sure much of the good service dad got was due to the fact he kept two late model large farm tractors and traded one of them every three years of use and bought them from the same dealer he got his lawnmower from.

robert

Threads
Generally speaking I agree with the 'big box' sentiment with qualifications; Home Depot (Lowes) will let you return the product within 30 days as will JD and that, speaking from experience, is worth its weight in gold. With regard to JD at the box stores-the only engines I have seen have been Kohler singles and Briggs singles which I have been told are Chinese. Additionally the Kohler Courage single is reputed to be a very troubled product.

Things take quite a turn when you look at the Cub big box models where you get a Kawasaki albeit a low end model (used by many of the big boys in the zt lines) but a Kawa still the same.

If I were to go big box it would positively be the Cub for the above reason.l

Deere makes the decision even more interesting-most all JD dealers will match the price on these super entry level machines but not offer the 30 day return until you get into the 'Select' series so if I had to have a Deere in the economy lineup it would most definitely come from a box store-it its running well after three weeks its going to be running well after three years-homeowner use of course.

But in the end benski nails it; you gotta spend alot more cash to get a quality machine-good engine and real drive and even then this does not happen for under 4 large unless you are looking at the Cub GT 2000 series which has to be the deal of the century-I challenge anyone to get the engine/drive in such a very solidly built mower for anywhere near the money one would spend for this series by Cub-ain't gonna happen.

Of course for about 2600 bucks Husqvarna puts out, from its own factory, a solid machine-hybrid deck with traction control but not a serviceable drive.

Gotta be careful out there.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Tell me what your thinking about buying . My shop sells new expensive machines that are pure crap . There are some very good ones - we carry simplicity , ferris , Dixie , cub cadet and service all brands . I'll tell you whats on the wall of shame by manufactures DEFECTS .
We love old steel machines from 70's-90's that are thick gauge steel and very few safeties or computers ( snapper lxt) that are not weather proof - not to mention mouse proof !

robert

Threads
sono, what would you say is the all time best lawn tractor and best garden tractor AND what engine (s) do you like and why??

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Well I have been lucky enough to buy many many tractors traded into our shop . My favorite is still my mid 80's Simplicity 6500 series . It's a 12.5 or 16 HP . I have been able to diagnose , find parts & fix everything myself with tools out a common tool box . My 12-50 Jacobsen still is a large comfortable tractor but will need a minor over hall soon . Starting to smoke while under load . The Jacobsen is mule of the pack and pulls anything I put on the tow ball - I swear the rear axle can go into a pick up truck .
I have 2 simplicity sun runners which I use at farm property - excellent for going under split rail fences 20+ acre of land - a lot of fences ! Those are rear wheel steering zero turn front mower deck tractors - 1987 & 1989.
One has a turbo blower and leaf catcher on the dump cart body . Great in the fall.
I don't think there is a new machine that can do what my 4 old machines do ,
I forgot - I have a Toro 11-44 with the fiberglass body tractor . That's the speed demon - tractor is FAST and leaves the lawn striped like a Dixie chopper - the big simplicity 6500 does the same - nice pattern on the lawn. Neighbors ask to use the big simplicity because of the quality of the cut.