What are The BEST John Deere Riding Mowers of ALL TIME?

What are The BEST John Deere Riding Mowers of ALL TIME?

• [list]Old Iron 1960s - 1970s[*][img]http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/attachments/john-deere/430d1285087

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • [list]Tough but Comfortable 1980s - 1990s[*][img]http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/attachments/john-deer

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • [list]Modern Marvels - 2000s - 2010s[*][img]http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/attachments/john-deere/429

Votes: 27 28.1%

• Total voters

xp14629

Threads
  • / What are The BEST John Deere Riding Mowers of ALL TIME?
F687 z-track. I can out mow two grasshoppers with my 60" deck. Operator friendly, long life kohler engine.

tweedlecat

Threads
love all john deere, green and yellow as well. can i check all choices?

jenkinsph

Threads
I have heard so many good responses over the years on TBN about the higher end Deeres' that I bought the x749 a couple of years ago. So far I am well pleased with its abilities but not having a full range of the older Deeres' it is hard to compare the new to the old.

One thing is obvious to me, the people who bought the better models have been very satisfied. The people who bought the entry level cheap L 100, LA 100 and D 100 series are less than happy in most cases. The pople I am humored by the most are the ones reporting how good their mower is and have less than 100 hrs on it.

Threads
I currently have a John Deere 70,110,112,140 and a 2012 X320. The 140 is a 1969 H3 and is my favorite. It is extremely heavy duty and with a 3 bank hydrulic it can do a lot. I will say my new X320 is a real joy to use however.

talley2191

Threads
Anderson Classic Tractors said:
I currently have a John Deere 70,110,112,140 and a 2012 X320. The 140 is a 1969 H3 and is my favorite. It is extremely heavy duty and with a 3 bank hydrulic it can do a lot. I will say my new X320 is a real joy to use however.

Ditto on the X series as I have one. Rides nice a mows great. Have to hold final judgement until it gets a few seasons on it.

x300RGVowner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope it is the one that I just purchased, I paid 1900.00 for a 2008 X300 with 42in cut with 6.2 hrs. It has a canopy,bumper and seat cover. Of all places, I purchased it a the local chevrolet dealership. Someone traded it in, It was there for close to 8 months.

MBTRAC

Threads
I purchased s/h a LT155 38" cut with c.150hours on the clock 4 years ago & it now has just over 1050hrs so it gets used quite a bit !!! (predominately on cutting 3cres of lawn & occasionally hauling a lightly loaded JD trailer with filled with mulch, or plants & garden tools) - after these hours no rust anywhere, engine has never been touched (apart from prescribed valve adjustment) & runs as new, the tuff torque tranny runs as new belts & spindles are original, in fact no component has needed to be replaced through wear - all in what can best be described as a harsh hot dusty & highly mineralised salty bush environment in undulating terrain.

Some people seem to hate the LT155, but I have nothing but praise for mine as it gets pushed well beyond its original design intent on the 3+ acred lawn on our farm & is used as can be seen by the hours frequently.

Only ever experienced 3 issues :-
1. Slight cracking on the bonnet (these composite/plastic bonnets seem too light to withstand the constant harmonic vibration
2. The wiring insulation started to break down from heat fatigue/age as it was routed too close to the engine & caused shorting on the block (easily fixed with spiral wrap & heat shrink insulation)
3. Installed a fuel line shut off tap to eliminate fuel build up when stationary & smoke at start up

As for maintenance, I wash/wax the LT155 once only max. once/year, blow the mower completely clean of debris with compressed air after every use, & do the following:-
1. Every 50hrs max. Change engine oil filter & replace oil with premium synthetic product
2. Every 10hrs max. Clean & reoil Air Filter, replace every 100hrs
3. Every 10hrs max lubricate spindles with high temperature bearing grease(rubbish in my humble opinion these spindles are fitted with grease fittings & supposedly only to be greased once at the factory for life) /lubricate steering with graphite moly farm grease
4. Every 100hrs flush transmission & replace oil with premium synthetic product (the tranny supposedly is sealed for life but the way I see it : oil breaks down, & hydrostatics hate heat & degraded oil so it's cheap insurance & relatively easy to do on this so called sealed unit)/adjust drive belt
5. Every 6 months drop the deck & paint with 2 coats of penetrol & then 2 coats of industrial gloss black paint to prevent rust/adjust deck belt

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
MBTRAC you have it right... take care of what you have & it will last.
You will never regret using a good synthetic, the effort is the same weather you choose a superior lube or not...
:smile:KennyV

PJ

Threads
The best Jd ride on is the one you have in your garage,store,yard remember horses for coarces

tpyoung

Forum Newbie
Threads
My first and current John deere mower was a 430 with the Yanmar diesel. It has a 60 inch deck, tiller, snow blade, 3 point hitch and rear PTO with a 3 point chipper shredder. It was recent rolled over by a tornado. I righted it, waited 20 minutes and it started right up. The hood was damaged as were the fenders and the seat, but it pulled 56 30 foot trees to the burn pile. I lost those in the tornado also. With Bar tires, the 430 is a beast!