We're being spied on...

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I ordered several Kohler courage valve cover gaskets last night from PartsTree.... Look what popped up on youtube this morning as a recommendation.
1642348077986.png

bkeller500

Threads
It's no longer a secret that if you google a item that your search is triggering a ad or response on that same item or subject and in short order you get a blast back on it from somewhere you never contacted. Marketing has gone digital in a big way. The price you pay for convenience! Sometimes I regret it and sometimes it's a welcome surprise.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Scrubcadet, First why you still using the cork gaskets? These covers sealing have been changed over to RTV sealant since 2014. See Kohler SB-325. when properly done the RTV is a lot better at not leaking over time. The only exception in when the muffler is directly mounted to the cover which there is an improved cover for that too if the old cover is being used.

And yes youtube is one of the scripts that run on Partstree. I have it blocked.
1642348991654.png
For Google I don't see many ads but is probably because I have their tag manager blocked too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I also forgot to mention the many sites are running a lot of unnecessary scripts just to mine your connection which why I use NoScript add-on. It is like I temporarily need to unblock this forums script. When I do I get dozens of ads that luckily AdBlock Plus stops from being displayed eating my screen viewable area.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
because I get the occasional person who needs it back yesterday and fails to bring it in before it starts dripping oil everywhere instead of weeping out.. So I put I cork one on and get them on their way. But I do RTV others who have patience. I always let the RTV (Ultra Black ) sit 24 hours for a full cure before use, so I keep 3 or 4 of the cork ones on hand.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good for you. And yes there is a few customer that act like or death. I had that acted like I was going to steal his wheel late last year. Since he stood around for the 30 minutes it took me to check and install a tube I charge him extra for watching. Mean ain't I? lol..

I got one right that complaining about how it taking me to fix his generator even he had it stored in a barn for over three years. It took a month just to get the carburetor parts from Briggs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scrubcadet, First why you still using the cork gaskets? These covers sealing have been changed over to RTV sealant since 2014. See Kohler SB-325. when properly done the RTV is a lot better at not leaking over time. The only exception in when the muffler is directly mounted to the cover which there is an improved cover for that too if the old cover is being used.

And yes youtube is one of the scripts that run on Partstree. I have it blocked.
View attachment 59334
For Google I don't see many ads but is probably because I have their tag manager blocked too.
That gasket was one of those things Kohler couldn't make up their mind on. The went from the cork gasket to RTV and then back to the gasket and then back to RTV. I had a few where the two halves that separate on the valve cover would vibrate and break the RTV sealant causing a leak.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Perhaps it is because I have been using cork gaskets on pressed tin motorcycle oil filled primary chain cases for decades, I never seem to have a problem with that cork gasket
Most people over tighten them which makes them leak
Try putting them on with a tension wrench to get the fell for just how loose they need to be and replace them if squashed, brittle , cracked or cut .
Bought direct they can be very cheap.
The last lot I paid around $ 3 ( Aus ) a piece for when purchased in 100 unit lots
Down here they are $ 25 a piece so I charge $ 15 & people think I am wonderful.

Mower King

Threads
because I get the occasional person who needs it back yesterday and fails to bring it in before it starts dripping oil everywhere instead of weeping out.. So I put I cork one on and get them on their way. But I do RTV others who have patience. I always let the RTV (Ultra Black ) sit 24 hours for a full cure before use, so I keep 3 or 4 of the cork ones on hand.
I recommend changing from Ultra Black to the Kohler Instant Gasket that Loctite makes or 3 Bond that Kawasaki Engine uses....I use both and in 10 minutes you can start the engine.
Try one of them,.....you'll never go back to Ultra Black!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Do you have the PN {sku} for the Kohler version?