Well, they did it...

arch252

Threads
JD found yet another way to screw over their customers. As if the seats and hoods weren't bad enough....

I've only recently started working on X series mowers, until recently there haven't been many on the market to fix up for resale. Working on an X300 today and had the pleasure of finding out that you can't simply loosen a nut on the steering shaft to replace a pinion gear, the pinion gear is formed into the steering shaft. So, instead of a $10 pinion gear and a 30 minute fix, it's a $180 steering shaft and a 2 hour job.

Makes me love my LX model even more.

It's a shame that a company as successful as JD employs engineers whose job it is to find ways to ensure customers have to take their mowers to a dealership for service and pay a fortune for parts. Thanks John Deere.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some of the Husqvarna and MTD are that way also Have to replace the entire steering shaft and is removed from underneath, so the mower has to be stood on its tail to get the shaft out.

arch252

Threads
I personally own an LX279 and a 3 year old X300. The new X300 is absolute junk compared to the LX models.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a shame that a company as successful as JD employs engineers whose job it is to find ways to ensure customers have to take their mowers to a dealership for service and pay a fortune for parts

So...................are you suprised? JD sales are stronger than ever and dealers charge $100/hr for service and they are not hurting for service business.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only conspiracy happening is from YOU the BUYERS refusing to pay a reasonable price for quality mowers.
So every season the manufacturers HAVE to find a way to make the mower CHEAPER because customers will not buy it if in their tiny cheapskate minds they believe that the mower company is making 1 red cent more profit than they think is reasonable .
The end result is a shaft with a forged gear ( which will be very strong ) because it takes 4 minutes off the assembly time & saves $10,000 / pa in warehousing & inventory .
I have never understood the mentality where everyone expects to get paid more each year for doing exactly the same work as last year but demands that prices for what they want reduce each year or at least remain the same .
Iron ore prices have doubled in the past year and copper prices have quadrupled

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No doubt we just ran out of iron ore and copper LOL. Used it all up. It's all price gouging.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the point Slomo, it is not price gouging.
A manufacturer has to be making at least a 50% gross margin on the factory gate price or they will not stay in business for very long.
With highly seasons things like mowers it needs to be 80% or higher to cover the cost of running the factory for 6 months with almost no sales income .
Price gouging is what HF, Wallies , Lowes etc do by purchasing cheap mowers directly from third world countries and selling them to you for 3 times the landed price while being 10% lower than the "ripoff" JD price and pretending to do you a big favour .
General retail mark ups are usually in the range of 30% to 50% of the cost price.

And yes we are running out of copper to the extent that it is now profitable to rework old copper mine tailings in Brazil & Chile just so long as you allow the highly toxic copper waste to flow down into the river, killing off most of the aquatic life .
We are currently consuming nearly 2 times the tonnage of copper that we produce annually and there is a finite amount of scrap that can be reprocessed.
In Indonesia they blow brass to burn off the zinc and return it to low grade electrical copper and in doing so make thousands of tons of toxic zinc oxide ( because it is contaminated with copper & lead ) which gets dumped or added to fertilizers .
Thus every "non-polluting" electric car produced probably kills a couple of people in a 3rd world country right now and dozens more into the future.
Similar story for all of the "no-pollution" battery tools, just to a lesser degree.
We don't need to worry about being invaded by the Chinese or the Russians because our own greed & stupidity will posion everyone in the end.
Good thing is it won't happen within my lifetime but I doubt that my grandchildren will live long enough to produce great grandchildren.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually if you was will to wait a few days you could have gotten the shaft for $165.

If the equipment owner or operator had paid more attention to maintenance they would had only to replace the bushings prior to steering shaft being destroyed. I got customers that refuses to get their mower repaired until it completely breaks.

Parts cost what they cost. Complaining isn't going make the supplier mark down price any more. On top that equipment isn't made to easily serviced any more either but how easy it is to assemble in the factory at the low cost.

I have seen where OEM have gone from using carriage bolts to plain hex head screws but still have the square holes stamped in the frames. Thus the repairs of simple idler pulley replacements have gone from simple nut removal to having take fender pans loose just you get a wrench on the hex head. Or like putting plastic cap over nuts as bushings so the old way of taking 15 minutes to replace drag link becomes and 1-1/2 hr job.

And customers like to complain about the shop rates too. So much did one here I put him to work fixing his own mower as I provided the tools. After about an hour he threw his hands as he couldn't figure how to fix the problem. Or like that stood there watching me take a hand held trimmer apart for a clutch replacement. Afterwards he said did know it was that involved and glad paid for my time.

Many times it is just they don't want spend their money on anything other than the booze, tobacco, and other bad habit items.

Yes I would to pay lower prices too but as repairman I don't complain when things wear out either. What I do is to check multiple sources for the best price before just handing over my money. That is just like the hub puller I got coming in Thursday. I am paying $120 for a tool that locally was over $200. That is not because I am cheap but smart enough as a business person as to buy from the distributor that was willing to sell direct.The tool in the config that I need still cost $162 overall as I need an addition pulling arm so I could apply maximum pressure points yet the customer thinks the $55 he paying for me to remove the hub is extremely high. Well I will not be using the tool but once every 5 yrs or so actually losing money doing the job; just hoping for repeat business otherwise.Yet even at the $162 it will save a lot time provider it works. I rather spend a hour doing the job than taking most of the day pulling that hydro out from under the JD Z920M which is easier than the Z925A where the whole rear assembly has to come out due bolt locations and no access otherwise.

If OP thinks working on a mower is expensive and difficult he ought of try the newer vehicles. Back when I youngster cars were easy to repair. Now you got to be a contortionist just to get what needs repairing or have professional level computer skills. Man are things compact now. And ATVs are just as bad.

And about the copper there is enough copper wires buried around here they could recycle the cables if the costs of digging them back up wasn't expensive. The telcons just leaves them in place and bury more cables but at least they optic fibers now..

And yes pollution is a major problem. Even locally people are so lazy that they rather throw their trash out the vehicle windows instead waiting to when they pass a trash can so they cold put the trash in them. I seen and recuse wildlife from many of those T shirt plastic bags. Some were already dead or severely injured but people don't care most times as it is not their problem.

On to one of my peeves is owners dumping their used motor oils in the ditches when it can be taken to the many recycle locations. I just took in nearly 10 gallons in the last month myself. And I did it as I went grocery shopping as it only took a extra 5-10 minutes to do it.

My bitching so over for now. Back to slept I go dreaming of better days.

gotomow

Threads
In 2000 a new LX279 listed for $4750.00. A new X300 listed for $2999.00 in 2018. Adjusted for inflation the X300 would sell for $2000.00 in the year 2000. So adjusted for inflation the LX279 is almost 240% more expensive.