Weird steering

metz12

Well-Known Member
So, I was riding my craftsman around today and when I went to turn left it made a weird cracking noise, and then it stuck there so I turned left some more and then it freed back up. Is this the bearings in the steering column? I am pretty much clueless. Thanks in advance.
 
So, I was riding my craftsman around today and when I went to turn left it made a weird cracking noise, and then it stuck there so I turned left some more and then it freed back up. Is this the bearings in the steering column? I am pretty much clueless. Thanks in advance.

I think but not sure you will find that there is bushing type bearings not ball barings in the steering column. Maybe you have a tie rod end going bad?
 
I think but not sure you will find that there is bushing type bearings not ball barings in the steering column. Maybe you have a tie rod end going bad?

I was thinking that a tie rod end might be it too. what would you look for when checking the tie rod end? like where would you start. i like other people opinions on how to go about things.
 
Re: Weird steering on craftsman

Could be the bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft ... Or something in that area could be bent... :smile:KennyV
 
Observe the steering system while someone cranks the steering wheel back and forth. Start on one end of it and go to the other end. Do not worry you will find it.
 
Lift the front off the ground just a little before you turn the wheels. Watch the the two gears at the end of the steering shaft could be a bad bushing. Mine locks up if I turn to hard left

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Lift the front off the ground just a little before you turn the wheels. Watch the the two gears at the end of the steering shaft could be a bad bushing. Mine locks up if I turn to hard left

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

That is exactly what happens to me!!!
 
Re: Weird steering on craftsman

Could be the bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft ... Or something in that area could be bent... :smile:KennyV

Thats what my friend said, i will check it when i will get home.
 
Like Kenny v said its going to be the bushing at the bottom of the shaft.
When the shaft moves side to side in the bushing the gears jam together. Turning left puts more strain on the gears than turning right.
I do not know why

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Re: Weird steering on craftsman

Sometimes if a tie rod is bent or out of adjustment, and you turn it hard left or right, I have seen the steering lock up much like a "vice grip wrench" locks up. Then when backing up, or you travel over an un-even surface, this lock-up releases. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it is something to look into if all your bushings are good.
 
Back
Top