Weird fuel problem with Honda GCV160

Brewster102

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is about 10 years old and just recently has been impossible to start. I took the carb apart and needle cleaned the main jet and the emulsion tube, reassembled it and it started on the first crank the
way it should. I only use this mower for leaf pick up and did exactly that for about an hour, and put it undercover for the night. Next day, try to start it and nothing--after several days of intermittent unsuccessful
cranking I repeated the cleaning procedure and sure enough, it started like a charm again and I worked again picking up leaves. Next day nothing again! As to exactly how long it has to sit not running before it
loses its ability to start I am not sure, I do know I could leave it off 30 minutes or so and it would start right away. After a week or so I decided to clean one more time, and the same thing happened much to my
frustration. Anyone ever heard of this behavior and any suggestions to a fix?

tadawson

Threads
Clean the crap out of the fuel tank and/or line that is causing it to reclog?

Brewster102

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's the weird part, the carb is full of gas, and no sign of any debris at this point in the jets when I go through the routine of cleaning them. I have also
tried emptying the carb without the take down thinking there might be some flooding going on, without success. It is only when I take the assembly off
and put it back together that it starts. Again, I am seeing no signs of debris anywhere through the carb.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is going to sound strange but replace the spark plug. The other issue could be a choke related issue, or fuel quality issues.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checks that the choke is fully closing when in the start position ?
Over time the cable creeps under the clamp and if the choke is just the tiniest bit open it will not start .
Next likely culprit is an air leak from the carb gaskets.

There are 4 of them.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post complete model number of mower, example HR215SXA